Author Topic: What Is Tare Weight & Why Should I Care About It?  (Read 865 times)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
What Is Tare Weight & Why Should I Care About It?
« Reply #-1 on: May 16, 2014, 11:07:32 AM »
Do you know what "Tare" Weight is?  Me neither!  :D ... Bought 20 lbs of Pork Butts from Cash & Carry to fix for my Granddaughter's Girl Scout Dinner and when I got home I noticed on the label something called "Tare - 0.06 lb".

Curious minds want to know ... So a quick search produced the following:

So what is it? It’s the weight of a container or package your food comes in, from to-go containers at the salad bar or the styrofoam “boat” and piece of absorbent paper — aka the “diaper” — cradling chicken breasts. Before a cashier can charge you for an item, the tare weight must be subtracted from the entire weight of the package.  The Division of Consumer Affairs has a specific department dedicated to keeping an eye on how tare weights are handled — the Office of Weights and Measures.

Needless to say I did not see a subtraction of the Tare Weight on my Cash & Carry receipt.  I'm presuming that stores have already subtracted the Tare Weight and take that into account when they price an item ... Right!!??
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: What Is Tare Weight & Why Should I Care About It?
« on: May 16, 2014, 11:24:18 AM »
Probably because the other weight on the package is Net weight, I'm assuming that the Tare weight plus the Net weight is the Gross weight.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 11:46:35 AM by Las Vegan Cajun »
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 11:45:08 AM »
Do you know what "Tare" Weight is?  Me neither!  :D ... Bought 20 lbs of Pork Butts from Cash & Carry to fix for my Granddaughter's Girl Scout Dinner and when I got home I noticed on the label something called "Tare - 0.06 lb".

Needless to say I did not see a subtraction of the Tare Weight on my Cash & Carry receipt.  I'm presuming that stores have already subtracted the Tare Weight and take that into account when they price an item ... Right!!??

Sure you keep that thought in mind  :D :D :D :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 12:20:22 PM »
Tare weight is packaging or vessel weight.  It is likely subtracted since it has to be as part of weights and measures laws.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 01:03:32 PM »
Tare weight is packaging or vessel weight.  It is likely subtracted since it has to be as part of weights and measures laws.

Checked my receipt again and I was charged $2.29/lb for the Net Weight of 20.84 lbs ... WOW - $2.29/lb for Pork Butt!!  :(  :(
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 01:40:02 PM »

Checked my receipt again and I was charged $2.29/lb for the Net Weight of 20.84 lbs ... WOW - $2.29/lb for Pork Butt!!  :(  :(

I feel spoiled in DFW in that there is always some form of BBQ meat on a reasonable sale (or I have enough stashed in the chest freezer for an emergency).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 07:18:03 PM »
I use that "Tare" thingy all the time for Bread recipes. Put a big glass bowl on and hit "Tare", now it just measures what I put in without the bowl. Need to add another ingredient, hit it again, your back to zero.
Me, being sometimes not the sharpest knife in the drawer on measuring skills, had to use this for some Euro recipes.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's