Author Topic: A boys first knife  (Read 5949 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
A boys first knife
« Reply #-1 on: May 19, 2014, 01:14:50 AM »
Most boys want a pocket knife before they are old enough; my grandson included. When I was young a Case knife was the one to have. I can’t remember getting my first knife; I probably bought it with money from a paper route. Our grandson will be 10 in Oct. and I think he has been talking pocket knife since he was 8.

I think about 15 years ago I thought I could collect knives and someday make a profit from my hobby. I bought a lot of knives and finally realized there were just too many knives being made and too many collectors for it to be profitable. I bought mostly Case knives; my grandmother Ainsworth’s maiden name was Case, not related to the knife family, so that made them special to me. I have given some away as gifts but must still have 30 left. The grandson knew I would give him his first knife.

He and his Mother were here last week and he was talking knife; she said they would discuss it with Dad first. The next day we had to pick him up from the bus stop. I think the first thing he said was they said I could have a knife Grampa.

So when we got home I got my box of knives out and got all the peanut knives out. It is one of my favorite knives, a small two blade pocket knife, and I told him it was the right size for his first one.  He looked them over and together we decided on a red bone handled one. It was one I had given to my Dad for a birthday and after he died Mom gave it back to me.

After a few lessons on how to open and close the blades safely, I said now you have to learn to whittle. He asked what that was; I said I’ll show you. I got a small piece of soft wood and proceeded to show him how to whittle and how to always cut away from his hand. He caught on fast and that boy has made a lot of wood shavings the last few days! He is only allowed to have the knife at home or at Grampas.

I don’t know if he will remember getting his first knife or not but watching him set there and contently whittle away will be a forever memory for me. I am glad I was able to be here and give him his first knife!

Grampa Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: A boys first knife
« on: May 19, 2014, 01:27:39 AM »
Great memories that will be cherished forever.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 03:04:04 AM »
Thanks for sharing Don.  Those are the best kind of memories (and ones that in my opinion we have taken away of our young men these days).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 06:36:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing this Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 07:06:37 AM »
Very cool Don! Thanks for sharing!

I happen to remember my first pocket knife my grandfather gave me. It was a Kershaw...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 07:39:43 AM »
That is a milestone in most every boy's life.  I think I still have mine packed away in a box.  I also remember my first knife and hatchet set that I received for Christmas back when I was about 10.  Curiosity got the better of me.  The package was from my Aunt and Uncle and weighed a lot for its size.  I just had to open it and see.  I couldn't wait for Christmas morning.  I opened that package every day after that.  I thought I was doing a great job of opening and re-sealing the package so it looked like no one had touched it.  WRONG!!  When Christmas morning finally came, my Mother said, "Now you won't have to re-wrap it anymore!"  BUSTED!!  I still have that knife and hatchet set.  The blade on that knife is still sharp.  The hatchet got used a lot more than I thought it would.  I still take them with me on fishing and hunting trips.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 08:22:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing your wonderful story Don. You must be very proud of your grandson! And I'm certain that he's proud of his grandfather too!  ;)

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 09:11:26 AM »
Thanks for sharing Don.  Those are the best kind of memories (and ones that in my opinion we have taken away of our young men these days).

I couldn't agree more, I still have the knock off boy scout knife my uncle gave me as my first knife and I haven't been without one ever since that day.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 09:16:47 AM »
What a great story, Don. Your grandson is a lucky guy. I still remember my first knife and I bet he will as well. Thank you for sharing this.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 09:49:36 AM »
I think it will be a good memory for both of you. My first knife was an old WW-II Navy knife. It was like a Swiss Army knife with two blades, a screwdriver and a can opener.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 12:13:44 PM »
Great story Don, thank you for sharing ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 12:52:38 PM »
I think my first was one with a spoon and fork,kinda bulky,my first carry knife was a cub scout,very cool.Im sure thats a lasting memory Don.First Christmas bicycle,another memory that will never be lost.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 03:15:04 PM »
Don that is a great story - thanks for sharing.  Having lost both of my Grandpas before I was old enough to get to know them - I can tell you that you have made an impact on your Grandson's life that he will not forget.  A memory he will always have and a great memory you can share together.

You sound like a heck of a great guy and a Grandpa that anyone would be lucky to have!
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline pz

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 04:09:51 PM »
Very nice memories, Don!  ;)

Offline Pappymn

A boys first knife
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 05:15:30 PM »
Nice job SD! Great story
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000