Author Topic: A boys first knife  (Read 5951 times)

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
Re: A boys first knife
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 06:01:50 PM »
Don, that is just too cool... What a lucky boy to have you to share that rite of passage with him!  What great memories, for so many of us!

I was nicking my fingers whittling driftwood long before the sanctioned age of 10, and still carry around my old trusty (and now somewhat rusty) Old Timer.   I had to graduate up to that from my first, which was a tiny little pink swiss army knife with the two blades, a plastic toothpick and tiny pair of tweezers.

When my dad passed away and I was going through his things, I must have found a dozen of his, some with the blades worn away to almost nothing from constant use and sharpening.  They were his favorite, and no matter where we were, we could always depend on him having one on hand to gut a fish, dig out a sliver, or slice up some cheese and salami for lunch.  And now that I stop to think about it, I don't think I ever saw him do more to clean it than wipe it off on his Levis between uses!!
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 06:12:54 PM »
Don, that is just too cool... What a lucky boy to have you to share that rite of passage with him!  What great memories, for so many of us!

I was nicking my fingers whittling driftwood long before the sanctioned age of 10, and still carry around my old trusty (and now somewhat rusty) Old Timer.   I had to graduate up to that from my first, which was a tiny little pink swiss army knife with the two blades, a plastic toothpick and tiny pair of tweezers.

When my dad passed away and I was going through his things, I must have found a dozen of his, some with the blades worn away to almost nothing from constant use and sharpening.  They were his favorite, and no matter where we were, we could always depend on him having one on hand to gut a fish, dig out a sliver, or slice up some cheese and salami for lunch.  And now that I stop to think about it, I don't think I ever saw him do more to clean it than wipe it off on his Levis between uses!!

What a great memory!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 06:19:36 PM »
My Dad was always giving me knives. He loved to pick up knives at flea markets and such and anytime I said I liked one he would give it to me. Some of the old Case knives he gave me over the years are worth quite a bit of money. I also bought knives at flea markets and estate sales over the years and probably have a couple hundred left even after selling many on eBay. I will always keep the ones Dad gave me though. I have passed a few on to my Son.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 03:03:42 AM »
This thread reminds my of Reminisce magazine.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 09:33:43 AM »

That was my second knife also, given to me by my dad and I still have it also.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 10:16:17 PM »
One of the things younguns growing up today will never know is taking a knife to school and showing and sharing as well as playing mubbly peg.  This one boy and I used to sit in class, this was all the way up through our senior year in HS, and sharpen our knives on a little whitstone.  His was always as sharp as a razor.  It seemed every boy had a pocket knife with him at all times in those days.

Years ago I gave my oldest daughter a Swiss Army Knife, which she calls her McGiver knife, and she still carries it---along with the pistol I gave her for a birthday present.  Gonna increase the caliber on the pistol for her birthday in July.

Sadly, kids can't do the things we did.  I'm looking forward to giving my 2 1/2 year old grandson his first knife.

Thanks, Don.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline bczajka

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 06:21:46 PM »
we can hide it from stacie! He can also use one of mine.....
Bradley J Czajka
Regional Executive Chef

Offline Guido1964

• Cook it outdoors
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 11:22:24 AM »
I remember those days. I remember doing the same for my Nieces and Nephews.  Their parents really weren't the outdoors types.
Charbroil 940X
Charbroil Tabletop Gas Grill
Charbroil Vertical gas smoker
Charbroil SMK smoker box
Chargriller Wrangler
Piece of expanded steel for camp fire

Offline airberryblue

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 05:59:47 PM »
What a great story to share.  Your grandson is one lucky young man to have you as his Grandfather and to have his Great Grandfather's knife.

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 08:17:28 PM »
What a great story to share.  Your grandson is one lucky young man to have you as his Grandfather and to have his Great Grandfather's knife.
Yes,great post,I remember my knives as clear as can be,I liked my cub scout knife a lot.Do they even have them anymore? My last experience with scouts the adult had the only hatchet,how things have changed.

Shoot,we looked like Feudal warriors when we went out.

About ten years ago,small town in nowhere,Idaho.Young fella rides up the street on ATV,gets off,carrying a rifle slinged and a Bowie knife on belt,camo's,...comes in restaurant and gets an ice cream cone.About 13 years old.No one blinked an eye,out here,SWAT would have been called,IF he survived that he'd be in jail,atv impounded,weapons confiscated.....just not right,feel so sorry for kids nowadays,what they miss.Video games are crap compared to what we had.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline grossie

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2014, 11:06:31 AM »
Don, thanks for sharing. That brought back great memories from when my grandfather shared the same with me. I loved the photo of the Old Timer. That was my first. I kinda regret not having sons to pass that along to. Maybe I'll be blessed with grandsons some day.

Learning to whittle and how to sharpen a knife are treasured memories. And the day I took my Old Timer and a piece of whittlin' wood up to the courthouse and joined the old timers whittlin' on the park benches.
PBC
Cabela's Ultimate Cookstation
Pizza oven for above
TBE
BEESR

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 04:43:48 PM »
Great story, Don. 

I cannot wait to start having memories like that with my grandson.  He's only 9 months old, so it's gonna be a while, but I still can't wait ! ! !

Thanks for sharing.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Sandman

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 03:26:16 PM »
I remember my grandpa using this knife when he would take me fishing when I was young. It was given to my dad after grandpa died and then given to me after my dad died. It has alot of memories to it.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 04:28:12 PM »
That's a great gift you got there Sandman, lots of memories goes with it.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)