Author Topic: EVOL VS Coconut Oil  (Read 6704 times)

Offline hikerman

Re: EVOL VS Coconut Oil
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2014, 04:59:32 PM »

As far as the fast food places we have one at every corner. But many of them do offer healthier options now. Wendy's for example has some good salads. So does Jack in the box. I have had them and they are pretty good. Most people choose to have the loaded calorie burger instead. And that is fine if you get exercise. If not it is a recipe for disaster. Especially if you eat fast food everyday.

One that surprised me was how GOOD Wendys chili is healthwise,loaded with beans and the meat is boiled,fat poured off and into the beans,blew my mind when you look at most fast food entree's they are disaster,and the sauces they put on,insane calories.

Found that on a thread about Wendys chili clone recipes,in comments,gotta love the web,former employees even gave recipes,its like a #10 can red beans,#10 can chile beans....heehee ,like cooking for the Navy!

Just wanted to add, whenever cooking with canned beans or other canned goods, whenever possible rinse and drain with water a few times. Gets rid of 80% of sodium, which is sky-high in all canned goods.

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2014, 05:04:01 PM »
If we all could be like Michael Phelps.   ::)

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/BL-HEB-3142
]But what about the choice of foods? All those eggs and ham and cheese can’t possibly be good for him, can they?

Yes Virginia,thats good healthy food my dear.

Yup,we are still stuck in demonizing good food IMO.Its all about balanced calories,thats nutritious food he is eating.And NOT artery clogging as weve been led to believe.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2014, 05:05:40 PM »

Just wanted to add, whenever cooking with canned beans or other canned goods, whenever possible rinse and drain with water a few times. Gets rid of 80% of sodium, which is sky-high in all canned goods.
Didnt know it got rid of THAT much sodium,thanks Gene.Thats a keeper!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 05:11:08 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2014, 05:18:12 PM »
No debate Scally...Yes - I think that is part of the problem. And the mount of  processed foods in general - containing a tremendous amount of sugars, trans and partially hydrogenated fats, etc.

I am trying to get rid of anything that is frozen in a box as a prepared food, or in boxes in general, like snacks, cereal etc.....And just get back to fresh fruits, veggies, and meat.

If the veggies arent super fresh then frozen is a good option,a lot is flash frozen really quickly and can be very nutritious indeed.We too are doing even better at getting rid of boxed food,as you say shop the perimeter,thats oh so true.

But I do like instant mashed taters,though really dont use much at all,Mrs very good at using real taters.Anyhow,does anyone know if there is a problem with them?

And yes we Americans are FAT! What is so astounding to me is how fat we are now in our 20's,I can grasp with poor eating over decades getting obese,but 20's??? Something is obviously very very wrong.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 05:29:41 PM by spuds »

Offline RAD

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2014, 06:51:31 PM »
I agree there is a problem in America.. After spending a week there I was blown away by the amount of severely obese people. Canada does not seem to have the same problem.. I wonder if it has something to do with the limited number of fast food joints that we have? Sorry not trying to start a debate...

I think it has to do with the amount of snow you guys get ... and all that snow shoveling !!!  :D  :D  8) 

When I was a teenager in New Hampshire back in the late 60s I used to shovel a lot of snow and made me some good $$$ ...
Snow has a lot to do with. When I joined the Marines in 1986 (at 18) I was 160lb's living in Buffalo NY. I made a lot of $$ shoveling that darn Canadian snow  ;D. Fast forward a bunch of years and while going thru college at night and working full time (no exercise) I ballooned to just under 200lbs. ??? I now run regularly and still eat most of what I like and I am steady at 170lbs. I will typically eat a sandwich (ham or turkey) and small salad for lunch. I will eat with the guys once or twice a week at the local joints but try to limit my runs to the buffet bar.  ::)

I know this will be a surprise to most here but I will eat a rack of ribs or a 16oz steak with taters on the weekend. I like a few adult beverages now and again  ::) but I try to maintain a workout pattern throughout the week. It’s not always easy.

I have a very demanding day so most times, like muebe, my run is at 4 or 5 AM. Not very easy to get you’re a$$ out of bed to run 4 or 5 miles that early ???, trust me, but when it’s over you are real glad you did. Right Mike?
Love to cook and eat

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2014, 06:54:21 PM »
I agree there is a problem in America.. After spending a week there I was blown away by the amount of severely obese people. Canada does not seem to have the same problem.. I wonder if it has something to do with the limited number of fast food joints that we have? Sorry not trying to start a debate...

I think it has to do with the amount of snow you guys get ... and all that snow shoveling !!!  :D  :D  8) 

When I was a teenager in New Hampshire back in the late 60s I used to shovel a lot of snow and made me some good $$$ ...
Snow has a lot to do with. When I joined the Marines in 1986 (at 18) I was 160lb's living in Buffalo NY. I made a lot of $$ shoveling that darn Canadian snow  ;D. Fast forward a bunch of years and while going thru college at night and working full time (no exercise) I ballooned to just under 200lbs. ??? I now run regularly and still eat most of what I like and I am steady at 170lbs. I will typically eat a sandwich (ham or turkey) and small salad for lunch. I will eat with the guys once or twice a week at the local joints but try to limit my runs to the buffet bar.  ::)

I know this will be a surprise to most here but I will eat a rack of ribs or a 16oz steak with taters on the weekend. I like a few adult beverages now and again  ::) but I try to maintain a workout pattern throughout the week. It’s not always easy.

I have a very demanding day so most times, like muebe, my run is at 4 or 5 AM. Not very easy to get you’re a$$ out of bed to run 4 or 5 miles that early ???, trust me, but when it’s over you are real glad you did, right Mike?

Cheers - it is about choices... (Don't like running, but biking works for me...  ;D )

You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline spuds

« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2014, 07:06:41 PM »
Rad,not surprised a bit,you are burning those calories real well. ;)

Offline hikerman

« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2014, 07:46:43 PM »

I'm sorry I was wrong, it is more like 40% of sodium removed by one drain and rinse. Two's gotta be better, but 40% is a lot better than taking it all in.

Offline spuds

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2014, 07:50:37 PM »

I'm sorry I was wrong, it is more like 40% of sodium removed by one drain and rinse. Two's gotta be better, but 40% is a lot better than taking it all in.
Oops,LOL!

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2014, 01:37:25 PM »

I have a very demanding day so most times, like muebe, my run is at 4 or 5 AM. Not very easy to get you’re a$$ out of bed to run 4 or 5 miles that early ???, trust me, but when it’s over you are real glad you did. Right Mike?

WTG Rad.  I'm with you on the running as well as going to the gym.  I do my best to follow healthy balanced meals most of the week, much easier to do now that I'm retired.  I was sidelined from running for several months due to an injury, plantar fasciitis, but I'm back at it again. Up to 7 miles now, on my way back up to 13 to be ready for the next 1/2 marathon in November.

At one point in my life, when I was more sedentary, I tipped the scales at the 200lb mark, not good for someone that is 5' 7".  Currently I'm at 167lbs which is down 13lbs from the 180lbs I went up to when I wasn't able to run.

I also like to consume adult beverages from time to time, no where near the quantities I did back in my younger days, especially when I was in the Air Force.  But an occasional brew or two when I go out to eat and indulge in the sinful delights that shoots the weight and glucose levels back up.  I try to keep that to a couple of meals a week and stay on track with healthy balanced meals the rest of the week.

I have tested the waters with low carb eating too and that doesn't work well with someone that works out and runs as much as I do.  I tried it again a couple of weeks ago when I noticed that my glucose levels were slightly elevated, so I cut back on the carbs for a few days.   Then I went to the gym to workout, this was one of the days I workout with a trainer and he kicks my ass in the gym.  I had so litte energy to complete the workout he even asked if there was something wrong that day.   I knew it had to be the lack of carbs, I won't do that again. 
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2014, 05:38:18 PM »
Good on the exercise,agreed you need your carbs from what Ive heard on the subject its critical for athletes.But curious on how it works out on the diabetes when you are lower carbs?You hear a lot about carbs and diabetes so would like to hear your stories.

My marathon friend see's same thing,when she isnt running wt pops up fast.

Plantar  fasciitis,wife had that a while back,was long time to heal,she thinks it was shoe inserts that damaged her foot.Scary,that can be a pretty serious disability for some folks dont get better,yikes!!

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2014, 06:23:17 PM »
Good on the exercise,agreed you need your carbs from what Ive heard on the subject its critical for athletes.But curious on how it works out on the diabetes when you are lower carbs?You hear a lot about carbs and diabetes so would like to hear your stories.

My marathon friend see's same thing,when she isnt running wt pops up fast.

Plantar  fasciitis,wife had that a while back,was long time to heal,she thinks it was shoe inserts that damaged her foot.Scary,that can be a pretty serious disability for some folks dont get better,yikes!!

Lower carb diets do help to some degree with Type II diabetes, there's a lot of other factors that go into it also, body fat percentage, physical activity, age (mainly how far the disease progresses as we age).  Because of my physical activity I get away with eating more carbs then other Type II's.  I generally eat the recommended 240g a day and all of it comes from complex carbs like fruits and vegetables, no breads, pasta, rice, juice, or anything else that is processed.

Over on the diabetic boards there is always the push from most forum members to go low carb as well as any medication that their doctor recommends.  I was Dx nearly 7 years ago and have managed my glucose levels with diet and exercise alone.  No meds as of yet but I know the day will come when it will be necessary because the disease does progress as we age.

Because I was sidelined from running due to PF, my weight did go up a few pounds as did my glucose levels.  My last visit to the doctor was not one of my best blood tests, in fact it was the worst since I was Dx, that was my wake up call to get my ass back in gear.  Low carb does help, but I don't like to do that long term, for the short term, less then a month I'm okay with it.

I was doing workouts at home while I wasn't running, I have one room dedicated to gym equipment, but being home all day and trying to get in a good workout in the same house I spend most of my day in was getting boring and I was slacking off because of it.  I joined a gym right down the street from where I live and contracted one of their personal trainers to work with twice a week and the other days I workout/run on my own.  It has made a huge difference, glucose levels are improving, lifting more weight, got back into running, and burning off some of that excess body fat.

Now the summer heat of Las Vegas has arrived and that means the running will have to be done very early morning, earlier than this old retired ass wants to get out of bed, but I gotta do what I gotta do.  ;)
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2014, 06:36:08 PM »
I like how you do your carbs and skip the junk ones,KUDOS!

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2014, 06:44:25 PM »
I like how you do your carbs and skip the junk ones,KUDOS!

Thanks, it's tough at times, especially when I go out to eat with a group and they all want pizza & wings, I have to order a salad and drool while they enjoy the good tasting stuff.  ::)
----------------------

Offline spuds

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2014, 11:14:10 PM »
Rad,you want to buy Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.I got the 2001 second edition.First 20 pages explains fats (oils)

EVOO-Good up to moderate heat,but puts on more fat on you than ORGANIC butter.

Oraganic butter,eat all you want,wonder fat

Peanut oil,use sparingly because high in Omega 6,the bad omega.

Raw milk (and milk products),GOOD.Pastured cows much better than grain or hay fed

Flaxseed-High in omega3,good.Keep refrigerated,never heated,and use SMALL quantities in salad dressings

Safflower,Corn,Sunflower,Soybean and Cottonseed-should never be used after theyve been heated like cooking,baking or frying.Huge Omega 6,bad stuff. Saff And Sun oil,from hybrid plants,cold pressed,similar to Olive oil,but hard to find. Definitely NOT recommended oils.

Canola-HORRIBLE! Processing turns omega 3 (the good omega) into trans fats.Food baked with it goes moldy fast....run for the hills,bad stuff

Margarine-BAD!

Butter-GOOD!

Any Hydrogenated vegetable oils,ie,solid form of oil,magarine,shortening,BAD.Processed food loaded with em

Duck and goose fat-good,great for fried potatoes

Lard-a preferred fat for frying

Beef and mutton tallow-stable and can be used for frying

Palm oil-used to be used for commercial french fries,clarified version has no taste

Coconut Oil-was used in cookies and pastries.Good oil

Summary-EVOO Good,organic butter (eat all you want) and flaxseed expeller processed (Unrefined) is  good.Coconut for baking,animal fats for frying.

BUY THE BOOK,this has great information.$15.39

Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats Paperback
by Sally Fallon (Author), Mary Enig (Author)
1,106 customer reviews

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0967089735/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 11:51:04 PM by spuds »