Author Topic: Reggie  (Read 1716 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Re: Reggie
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 12:44:09 PM »
What an emotional read.  It could be the genesis of a good fictional movie.  Emphasis on fictional.  I don’t think it’s true.

I’m not writing this to be mean-spirited or troll-like.  I just think readers deserve to know when something is what I call web-s#*t.  People continually write and distribute material like this, apparently like launching a paper sack hot air balloon.  They don’t know how long it will survive nor where it will go.

The story indicates that Paul Mallory was awarded the Silver Star posthumously.  Wanting to read the citation, I went to http://www.homeofheroes.com/silverstar/.  Gee, no Paul Mallory listed.  How odd.

Okay, I’ll check http://icasualties.org/Iraq/Fatalities.aspx to see if he’s listed.  Nope.

I called our local animal shelter and asked the Director if they would take a Lab under these circumstances.  He said they can’t do that and doubts that any animal shelter could.  He said to search on Military Pets on an Internet search engine.  He said there are several organizations that help deploying military locate temporary foster homes.  (The animal lovers among us may want to consider providing this service.)

I went back and reread the narrative looking for some verifiable information.  Nope.

But I did wonder about the forgotten letter that I quickly read about the first time.  Who would forget a letter from Reggie’s original owner?  There’s obviously important information in it, otherwise the owner wouldn’t have written it.  It doesn’t track with reality.

I’ve concluded that it’s fiction.  If you find otherwise, please post a comment.  It will help restore my faith…

So, if you want to shed a tear for those who gave their all.  Go to http://icasualties.org/Iraq/Fatalities.aspx and read the names and home towns of 5,000 mothers, fathers, sons, brothers and sisters who died in Iraq.  Their deaths were real tragedies.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 01:40:16 PM »
Paul,  That list of Silver Star awardees is inaccurate or incomplete.  I  have a Silver Star and my citation is not there.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 08:27:26 PM »
I'm not surprised in that, Dee.  I'm certain that it's an honor you richly deserve.  You also deserve to be listed.  Here an excerpt from the pages, "The pages linked below are part of a work-in-progress, an estimated 3-year project, to compiled and post the names and citations of ALL Silver Star recipients from ALL branches of service and in ALL wars and conflicts. I welcome your EMAIL with information on any recipients, additions and/or corrections to all posted information, and especially encourage our visitors to submit ANY Silver Star citations you may have."
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 09:13:31 AM »
Thank you for that David. It made my day.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware