Author Topic: Any Car Guys Here?  (Read 4446 times)

Offline MJSBBQ

Re: Any Car Guys Here?
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 07:18:00 AM »
I have kept a 67 Vette. I had it restored a few years ago. It took 7 years to do it. I did not do the work, just wrote the checks! It is fun to drive around on occasion. Here are a couple of photos taken at the homecoming a few years ago.

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 07:21:45 AM »
Forgot the photos!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 07:47:30 AM »
Beautiful ride MJSBBQ.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 08:51:32 AM »

Subaru does an amazing job of squeezing HP out of their engine and getting it to  the ground.  I vote them the most fun for the money.  Most urban streetfighters are surprised by my daughter's Subaru Spec B (uncommon) when they try to right-lane her.

You have a nice collection.  Is that Mercedes topless?  Get it on the road?

My son had a Chevy similar to yours.  It was a '69 Nova SS396 but his had a heavily modified TH transmission.  Stall speed was way too high for comfortable street starts.  It would practically jump sideways when it shifted.  We were getting close to solving an overheating problem when it was stolen, stripped and burned.  They stripped everything including the electric fuel pump that was mounted between the fuel tank and the frame.  Oddly, they left about $500 worth of SW gauges.  He was in high school and it just about broke his heart.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline pmillen

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 08:59:21 AM »

Oh, man!  That's gorgeous!  It looks like it just left Bowling Green.  I'd offer a Champagne toast, too.

Edit:  Had trouble getting photo to post in quote.  Jumped through hoops.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 12:49:51 AM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 02:21:19 PM »
Great cars guys.

Subies are the number one USA market for them right here on my mtn,they are incredible snow cars too.They dont come cheap used either,high demand for em here.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 02:46:52 PM »
Great thread Paul! Also like your cars and pics of others' cars too!  Back in the day I was into cars and motorcycles. My first love was a 1967 Triumph TR4A. Miss it like a lost friend. Next car was a 1970 Plymouth GTX w/440mag. and 3 dbl bbl carbs. It drank fuel as fast as you could pump it in. It was a very fast car that looked..... like a family car! When the gas shortages arrived my fast cars went away. Then the motorcycle bug hit me..... 8)

Offline pz

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 04:16:50 PM »
You have a nice collection.  Is that Mercedes topless?  Get it on the road?

Thanks - yes, the 450 is the convertible - have not had it on the road in years, but would like to one of these days.  Problem is that there is likely lots of rubber that needs to be replaced (especially engine rubber pieces)

Really too bad about your son's car - sounds much like mine - I would have been heart broken had mine been taken!

Offline catinatree

• Boulder, Colorado
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 07:58:44 PM »
Should I say .... yes? I'm into Formula 1, and have a very close friend that's a master Ferrari mechanic. Here's a '87 Testarossa flat 12. He works in Newport Beach, Ca. This was here in Denver.

Haven't figured out how to post a video yet !
GMG Daniel Boone
Southwest Discada 24" Rio Grande
Discada tri-pod burner
PolyScience Sous Vide

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 08:21:12 PM »
Thats some engine,wow!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline pz

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 12:33:39 AM »
Fabulous!  :)

Offline pmillen

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2014, 12:57:00 AM »
- yes, the 450 is the convertible -

I didn't know that.  Then the 450SLs that I saw that looked like coupes, with the triangular window behind what looked like a thin B-pillar, were actually removable hardtops?
Paul

Offline pz

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2014, 01:31:37 AM »
I didn't know that.  Then the 450SLs that I saw that looked like coupes, with the triangular window behind what looked like a thin B-pillar, were actually removable hardtops?

Yes - your Bronco setup reminds me of the SL - I've the hard top hanging from the ceiling much as you do.  The soft top is hidden in a back hard compartment that flips up to allow you to raise the soft top.  Although I'm not positive, I believe all of the older SLs are this way, with a removable hard top - the car even comes with a tiny block and tackle  ;D

Here's an old pic with the hard top on:

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2014, 03:25:07 AM »
I have been a car guy most of my 72 years. My first car was a 47 Ford coupe I bought when I was 16 in 1958, had 47,000 miles on it and cleaned up like a new one, dark green. I lowered it, fender skirts, shaved the hood and trunk and redid the interior myself a little amature looking but I thought it was great. I paid $150 for it, drove it for 4 years and sold it in Homestead Fla. for $150.

I worked for Ford Mo Co. for 30 years at an engine plant as an electrician. Naturally most of my cars have been Fords. I have a list of all the autos somewhere but can't find it now. It was over 20, probably more than most people and why my retirement savings is small!

When I sold my first car I bought a 1954 Mercury convertible, white with a white top, black and red leather upholstery. That was a honey.

A car I loved was a 1964 Chevy 409 SS, stick shift, dark blue w/bucket seats and stick shift. My first wife bought it in 1964 while I was in Turkey w/USAF and sending her all my money. When I got home she said she wanted a divorce, I took my car and stayed with my parents. I think I got to drive it for 3 or 4 days then the Sherriff showed up and said I had to return it since it was in her name! I lost the wife but was probably a blessing, sure hated to lose that car!

When I married my wife of 47 years my car was a junk 58 Chevy then bought a 1963 Corvair Coupe, red and a fun car to drive.

Worst car I ever had was a 1960 Renault.

Most of our married life I have had family cars and always wanted to be driving a new model of Ford. In 1985 we were at a Ford dealer looking for a new one, leaving they pulled a Mustang GT convertible, automatic, silver with a black top and accents, out they had just cleaned up with the top down. The dealer owner said take that for a spin, I said no we can't afford it. He said go ahead you might never get another chance. We took it for a spin and the wife drove it. We handed the keys back and said thanks for the spin, but we can't afford it.

The next day my wife said, I think we can afford the Mustang. Now that is the only car I ever bought she was excited about. We bought it and found it was the dealer owners car and had some miles on it. He had made a trip to Fla. and back. Later we found it was probably a drug run, the dealer was arrested for cocaine dealing!

We both loved that car and taking rides in the summer with the top down. My wife would turn into a mean race car driver every time we made a trip to my Moms. When she turned onto a back road about 2 miles long she would put the pedal to the metal, I loved that look she got! She would back off at 85. The fastest I ever had it was 105.

Our son and daughter drove it but was afraid to give it to them since it was not a safe winter car. I ended up giving it to my daughter, from my first marriage, and her husband. It kinda made up for not sending her to college like we did our two. They drove it a few years and wanted to save it but finally sold it. A few years back the guy that bought it from Mich. contacted me, from my name on the title and sent me pics, he had redone it in black and looked bad!

The worst car I ever had was a 1960 Renault!

Trucks I have had was a Ranger cab and half, gave that to our son and he drove it a few years. A 1997 Ford 150, and a 1998 Ford Ranger I still have, rust free and looks new.

Cars I wish I still had,
1947 Ford Coupe
1954 Mercury Convertible
1964 Chevy SS
1985 Mustang GT
My Dad's 1953 Buick Roadmaster, straight eight, yellow with a white top, wire wheels and wide whitewalls, power windows, power steering and brakes.

Besides me owning over 20 cars we gave our kids cars to help get started.

Long but thanks for letting me reminisce!

Smokin Don

Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2014, 01:14:33 PM »
Thats some engine,wow!

It sure is.  I wonder if Boss Hoss Motortcyles would consider putting one of those babies between the legs, that would be one helleva ride.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)