Author Topic: Rusted hole in bottom of my PBC.  (Read 4765 times)

Offline 70monte

Rusted hole in bottom of my PBC.
« Reply #-1 on: August 01, 2018, 12:20:02 AM »
I went to use my PBC for the first time in quite a while today.  Since there were some spider webs and such in the barrel I decided to clean it out.  There was just a little buildup of grease around the edges of the barrel and a few ashes.  I used a plastic scraper and then turned it over to let the stuff fall out.  I hit the middle of the bottom of the barrel with my hand and a piece of metal fell out of the bottom.

I was pretty shocked since the bottom didn't look that bad and I always have kept the barrel covered with the PBC cover and dumped out the ashes after each cook.  This cooker also sits under a covered carport with a concrete floor.  I have also used the ash catcher inside the barrel ever since they first came out.

This is an older model that is powder coated that I bought used about 3 or 4 years ago from the original owner who had owned it for about a year.  It still looked pretty much like new when I bought it.

I called and ordered a new barrel and lid.  Just wanted to give you guys that own this older model a heads up to check yours out periodically.  Here are a couple of pics.

Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Rusted hole in bottom of my PBC.
« on: August 01, 2018, 01:36:57 AM »
That sucks that it burned thru.  Do you use the ash pan for them?. It might help. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 06:48:47 AM »
Don't throw it out. Get some JB weld and 1/8" piece of steel and patch the hole. I bet you could get a bunch more life out of it. Just follow the JB weld instructions. The stuff does work fairly well when applied correctly.
MAK #3591

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 09:48:17 AM »
That is why I used to use hd foil on the bottom even while using the new ash pan.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 10:29:41 AM »
70monte,
Even though it's stored under a carport, sitting directly on the concrete floor can be a moisture trap. Sitting the barrel on a couple of 1 X 2's will allow air flow underneath. Not saying that was the problem, just preventative for next one. My $ .02  :)

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 10:33:19 AM »
Unless it's on wheels- then scratch that thought.  :)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 10:39:24 AM »
Go to Tractor Supply and get a plow disk (about 20 bucks) use it on the bottom.  I been using one in my fire pit for years and still holding up :thumbup:   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline 70monte

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 10:45:02 AM »
I bought the ash pan when it first became available for sale and have been using it the entire time since.  I may have to try the HD foil under the ash pan for the new barrel.

The PBC is also always stored on it's stand so it's never sat on just the concrete so it should have plenty of airflow.

I have already ordered a new barrel and lid so even though I could probably patch this one, there is no reason to now because I don't have all of the internals for two PBC's.
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 07:22:24 AM »
70monte,
Even though it's stored under a carport, sitting directly on the concrete floor can be a moisture trap. Sitting the barrel on a couple of 1 X 2's will allow air flow underneath. Not saying that was the problem, just preventative for next one. My $ .02  :)

I think you are on to part of the problem....
Yes, the barrel likely suffered from electrolysis - concrete has a low but very real conductivity. Just as we have always ben told to never let auto batteries sit for more than a few hours on a concrete slab....because they can be drained by this same phenomenon. Set anything that can corrode or discharge on wood to gain a little distance from the concrete.

But - the other and most direct way we shorten the life of our PBC - is by allowing ash to sit in the bottom of the barrel. It is hydrophilic in nature - that is - it will adsorb moisture...out of the air as well as any rain that may get to it. Cleaning it out after it cools down is the best way to extend the life of the PBC. If you do not clean out the ash - you create an extremely caustic "slurry", and the corrosion is pretty aggressive. Couple this with the rapid heating and cooling stresses for the metal that occur from normal use...and you have a formula for a faster path to disappointment..... ;) 8)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Hub

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 08:06:20 AM »
Mine is starting to rust out around the bottom seam.  I clean it and keep it painted with new high temp enamel but I think there's a finite life for steel barrels that get hot then cool down, no matter what.  When it gives out, I'll get a new one.  I don't see this as a defect, just a part of use.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 10:22:01 AM »
70monte,

Yes, the barrel likely suffered from electrolysis - concrete has a low but very real conductivity. Just as we have always ben told to never let auto batteries sit for more than a few hours on a concrete slab....because they can be drained by this same phenomenon. Set anything that can corrode or discharge on wood to gain a little distance from the concrete.

But - the other and most direct way we shorten the life of our PBC - is by allowing ash to sit in the bottom of the barrel. It is hydrophilic in nature - that is - it will adsorb moisture...out of the air as well as any rain that may get to it. Cleaning it out after it cools down is the best way to extend the life of the PBC. If you do not clean out the ash - you create an extremely caustic "slurry", and the corrosion is pretty aggressive. Couple this with the rapid heating and cooling stresses for the metal that occur from normal use...and you have a formula for a faster path to disappointment..... ;) 8)

Good call "T".  Water + wood ashes = sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide (lye). That's how the settlers made the active ingredient for their soap.

Offline 70monte

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 06:24:19 PM »
70monte,

I do know not to leave ash inside and I clean out all of my cookers after using them.  In my PBC, I have never left piles of ash and definitely not where the rust hole appeared.  The very small amount of ash that was in it when I cleaned it out the other day was around the inside edges on the barrel where it doesn't look rusty.  It could be from moisture getting trapped between the ash catcher and the floor of the barrel.
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 08:24:44 PM »
I want to be clear that I was not inferring that you left ash in yours...Just saw it as a good time to talk about the common reasons that a barrel could rust out. Yep - moisture can sure create a problem for us sometimes. ( I have sen so much rain in the last month that I am building a big boat and gathering animals.... ;D)

The new PBC barrels are so nice. The enameling is on par with a Weber - if not thicker. And, the nameless barrels should be far more corrosion resistant....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline 70monte

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 11:17:21 AM »
I want to be clear that I was not inferring that you left ash in yours...Just saw it as a good time to talk about the common reasons that a barrel could rust out. Yep - moisture can sure create a problem for us sometimes. ( I have sen so much rain in the last month that I am building a big boat and gathering animals.... ;D)

The new PBC barrels are so nice. The enameling is on par with a Weber - if not thicker. And, the nameless barrels should be far more corrosion resistant....

No problem.  I guess I'm just disappointed that mine has rusted through already given the fact that I tried to do everything I could to prevent that. 
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 01:35:12 PM »
Hello 70Monte,

Please feel free to give us a call at the office Monday through Friday between 8am and 6pm EST. You can reach us at 502.228.1222. We want every Pit Barrel Cooker experience to be a great experience! We look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards,

Angie Barlow