Author Topic: PBC and rain  (Read 1930 times)

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
PBC and rain
« Reply #-1 on: August 29, 2018, 03:37:18 AM »
Anyone have any issues while using the PBC when it rains?  We have our football draft this weekend, and while I normally use the offset all night, having a 7 month old I'm choosing sleep and will use my PBC for brisket, in addition to chicken and ribs I do on/in it.

Chance of rain off and on pretty much all day Saturday for us.  Any suggestions, tips, advice are greatly appreciated, for both the rain and brisket as it is my first on the PBC. Thanks in advance.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Hub

Re: PBC and rain
« on: August 29, 2018, 05:40:19 AM »
I've used my PBC "in the rain" several times but not actually "out in the rain" if that's what you mean.  Using it uncovered in any way won't hurt it, I'm fairly sure but there's bound to be some cooling effect -- how much I don't know.   Also, lighting charcoal in the rain might present some challenges.  The dished lid is going to collect some water and probably will steam as it heats and evaporates.

Know anyone who has a pop-up you might borrow?  That'd be my recommendation for staying at least partially dry.  You could also cook just inside the open door of a garage or maybe on a small covered porch?  At the very least round up a big golf umbrella and an "assistant" to hold it over you as you toil away in the interest of better groceries.

Half the fun of being a dedicated outdoor cook is cooking when the weather isn't nice.  Rain, snow, sleet, hail, locusts, pestilence, whatever, food just tastes better cooked outdoors.  Do it.  The PBC won't melt even if you do  ;)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline akruckus

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 12:34:17 PM »
Thanks we have an overhang we had refinished last week.  I was going to put it on the edge of that to keep out of elements.  I'm hoping we don't lose too much heat from rain on the surface evaporational cooling.  I wasn't sure if I should plan on giving myself a little more time.
PBC
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 10:36:56 AM »
The rain can cause cooling but if you are under an overhang, and rain can't fall directly into the cooker, you can always offset the lid for about 30 minutes to increase temperatures if needed. You would offset the lid about 3/4 of an inch which will increase your air flow. You would only need to do this if the barrel temperatures seem to be running low or if the cook is taking too long. Enjoy, and please feel free to contact our office anytime with questions or concerns.

Best,
PBC Team

Offline akruckus

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 02:58:57 AM »
Thank you, went fairly smoothly, and produced the best brisket I have cooked to date.  Will post some pictures when I get a chance.
PBC
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759