Author Topic: Boneless Pork Butt  (Read 4869 times)

Offline rickmort

Boneless Pork Butt
« Reply #-1 on: May 13, 2019, 08:43:37 PM »
Hi All, Been a while since i've been on here, but still smoking strong with the PBC.

I do have a question this time around.  I am doing pork butt for 70 teachers on Wednesday, starting smokes tomorrow.  They had already purchased the butts so I had no say, and they purchased 2 16lb boneless butts.

I have not cooked a boneless so I am wondering if there is much cooking difference?

Also, when trimming, the fat flap was so thin that taking some fat off weakened it and I separated it, because I would not have been able to hang it otherwise. So I have 7 pieces all said and done from where the butcher split them then when I had to as described above.

I am wondering if just smoking it on the shelf would be better than hanging in this situation?

I am going to have to do at least 2 smokes, maybe 3.

Thanks for the answers and any other advice you can give.  Rick
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 09:49:48 PM by rickmort »

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
Re: Boneless Pork Butt
« on: May 14, 2019, 09:10:51 PM »
Probably too late of a reply but your situation sounds familiar to one I had last year.  Sounds like Costco butts, only place I've seen them boneless anyway.  If it's 16 lbs probably two in the same package.  I did two packs last year, total of 4 butts, cooked faster than bone in and with the bone out exposed more area for the rub.  Turned out great.  I did mine on my keg.

I've no experience with the PBC but always wonder how hanging meats that become fall apart tender remain hanging?  I would probably do them on the shelf my first time around.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 10:26:30 AM »
I always do my butts and briskets on the grate. It's just easier that way and works just fine.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline rickmort

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 10:48:43 AM »
Yes costco butts and you are correct that these did turn out great!  2 packs 4 butts (then they split because of the above trimming I mentioned).  Each cook had 4 chunks of meat.  I ended up using the rack.

I did the first smoke yesterday (pics attached) and started the 2nd cook earlier this morning than I did yesterday, so this cook will be finished just before the event starts.

Thanks for your comments!

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 11:09:33 AM »
Looks like you nailed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline rickmort

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 11:14:38 AM »
Looks like you nailed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!

Well the 2nd cook this morning is going much faster, even though PBC temp has been generally lower than yesterday.  I put them on at 0930 judging from yesterday that they'd be done by 3pm, and 1hr 40min in the internal temp is already at 135 on the largest chunk.  I know it'll slow a little when I take it out and wrap, but hopefully that will not come for another hour.

Offline rickmort

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 11:24:53 AM »
Any recommendations on hearing yesterday's pork?

I was was planning the following...

• remove tray from fridge 1.5 hours before drop to get to room temp
  • Took drippings from cook removed a lot of the grease
  • 45min before drop-off moisten the pork in the tray and place in 225 degree oven covered
  • moisten lightly again 5 minutes before taking it out of oven
  • take out and bring to event

I guess the main question that I have is, since I pork from a fresh cook that'll still be hot, should I mix the 2 trays so both trays will have meat from yesterday and today's cook?

Thanks in advance.

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 02:10:17 PM »
As long as the first cook's pork is hot when you mix, I would mix the two because that way you con get consistent flavor throughout.

Cooks like awesome and I like using the rack whenever possible.   Sometimes its hard if the brisket is too big at first but after the first hour it has shrunk enough to fit.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759