Author Topic: 2 quick cooking questions on chicken and pork butt  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Paul Hart

2 quick cooking questions on chicken and pork butt
« Reply #-1 on: January 16, 2015, 10:25:17 AM »
1) the PBC video shows them splitting the chicken first. Anyone had luck with whole chickens as is? Does it increase the cook time any?
If I place the butt on the grate for the entire cook will it be ok or should I hang it first?

I'm about to go pick up stuff, not sure I'll be able to get the whole chicken today or not. I rarely see them around here.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: 2 quick cooking questions on chicken and pork butt
« on: January 16, 2015, 10:27:19 AM »
Sorry, I can't answer the first one - have always split my chickens. I imagine you could do the chicken whole like a turkey.

I have done several butts on the grate - has worked perfectly for me.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 11:21:24 AM »
I always split my chickens no matter what cooker I use. You get more coverage for rub and for the Grease Fog that the PBC produces.

The cooking grate is in the "Sweet Spot" of the drum. This is the spot where if you were hanging meat, that is the area where the meat would be either on hooks or rebar.

I always put a butt on the cooking grate, I have hung them before, but why take chances when you get the same results on the grate as you would on the hooks......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 11:57:54 AM »
I always split my chickens no matter what cooker I use. You get more coverage for rub and for the Grease Fog that the PBC produces.

The cooking grate is in the "Sweet Spot" of the drum. This is the spot where if you were hanging meat, that is the area where the meat would be either on hooks or rebar.

I always put a butt on the cooking grate, I have hung them before, but why take chances when you get the same results on the grate as you would on the hooks......

Great info smoke, thanks for sharing.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 03:47:46 PM »
Whatever you decide....be sure to post some pictures.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 05:32:20 PM »
I have done them whole and they take longer but turn out good. You must hook them well or they will fall into the coals. Don't ask how I know ::)

The big easy basket works great for holding them also.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 07:32:36 PM »
I imagine, if you wanted to do the chicken whole, you could probably put it on the grate as well.
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 08:19:41 PM »
I put both on the grate. Butts at 4 hours and 153°. The chicken had no business tasting that good. That's a head scratcher, for sure.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 11:15:42 PM »
I put both on the grate. Butts at 4 hours and 153°. The chicken had no business tasting that good. That's a head scratcher, for sure.

Yum!
Member #