Author Topic: Hang Meat Or Use Grill Grate ?  (Read 2982 times)

Offline ChrisD46

Hang Meat Or Use Grill Grate ?
« Reply #-1 on: February 23, 2016, 04:44:14 PM »
If space is no problem  - do you prefer to use the grill grate to lay meat down flat or do you prefer to hang meat ? I want to do a couple of chickens cut in half which will fit fine on the grill grate . Any advantage in taste or cooking time between hanging meat vs. laying meat  flat on the grill grate ?  Again , if space is not a problem - do you have a preferance ?

Offline hikerman

Re: Hang Meat Or Use Grill Grate ?
« on: February 23, 2016, 05:45:21 PM »
Hang the meat whenever possible. It just seems to work better that way. Sometimes you need to use the grate so your meat doesn't fall to the coals from being done/tender. It's nice to have the option if needed!

Offline Kona

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 05:47:48 PM »
a chicken I hung just after I got my PBC :)

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 08:00:04 PM »
I vote... hang the meat.  :D  :D
Chief Mac
Weber Genesis E-320
Charbroil - CB600X Gas Smoker
Landmann Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
PBC
14" Kingsford Charcoal Take Anywhere Grill
A Maz N Tube Smoker 6" & 12"
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 09:45:41 PM »
Both ways sit in the "sweet spot"...however if using the grate you will have to turn the meat during the cook and you really lose capacity quick...........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 10:36:28 PM »
I really like to hang, because it's easier to clean the hooks than the grill. Either way the food turnout great !!!
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 09:42:09 AM »
Hang whenever possible...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 11:09:36 AM »
Both ways sit in the "sweet spot"...however if using the grate you will have to turn the meat during the cook and you really lose capacity quick...........

I will second that space issue.

I have experimented with low and slow with chicken while doing my ribs in the barrel using their hinge grate.  Initial plan was to do 2 chicken halves and rib tips, but only the chicken fit on the hinge rack.  Not much room for anything else with the ribs there. If using the full grate you could maybe get one more half in there.  I would always hang, even with trying low and slow with foil around some upper holes.

Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 11:22:57 AM »

I have experimented with low and slow with chicken while doing my ribs in the barrel using their hinge grate.  Initial plan was to do 2 chicken halves and rib tips, but only the chicken fit on the hinge rack.  Not much room for anything else with the ribs there. If using the full grate you could maybe get one more half in there.  I would always hang, even with trying low and slow with foil around some upper holes.

Do you think you could have hung the chicken beside the ribs and put the riblets on the grate ?
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 02:17:43 PM »

Do you think you could have hung the chicken beside the ribs and put the riblets on the grate ?

I did not really think of that.  I do know it was a cold January day and I didn't really want to spend too much time outside.  I am going to give this a whirl again in a couple weeks.  Time has been lacking a lot recently.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759