Author Topic: Lamb Ribs on the PBC  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

Lamb Ribs on the PBC
« Reply #-1 on: February 26, 2016, 10:43:47 AM »
Yesterday was beautiful in South Florida so a perfect time to fire up the PBC.  This was my second cook.  My first attempt at chicken and ribs was a learning experience. Food came out good but I had a hard time getting the temps past 225F.  For the lamb cook, temps were just fine.  Had only about 3/4's worth of KB left and thought that would be a problem but it was not.  So I think for shorter cooks, this can be considered as even after 5 hours, there was plenty of juice left.  In fact I covered the rebarb holes with foil to finish the coals and have several left that never were started.  One thing I learned is to place the coal basket in the middle of the drum.  Mine was off-center and the dripping juices from the lamb landed off to the side from one of my racks.  I also poured the hot coals from the chimney starter onto the uncooked coals with the coal basket outside of the drum.  I found this easier to spread the coals since there is limited room to move the chimney starter inside the drum.  I have a good over mitt but I think some kind of "hook" would be better to drop the basket- any ideas on this?

My butchering technique is limited and I was only able to get one rack of ribs separated from the breast bone.  After about 4 hours I had these luscious pcs of meat.  These ribs are very, very fatty, even after trimming a ton of fat.  The flavor is very "deep and rich" so a little goes a long way.   The breast would be perfect for making riblets if I had a good meat cleaver. If anyone has any thoughts on doing riblets, they would be welcome.  Enjoy! :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Lamb Ribs on the PBC
« on: February 26, 2016, 10:47:27 AM »
Look great to me Steve!

Check into a Nakiri style blade for general chopping, that will hold an edge pretty well. A cheap sharp cleaver can be had too...and just keep in mind cheap = sharpening more often - but the cation of chopping will dull even good blades faster than we like.

As well - a butchers bone saw can be a real asset too.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Kona

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 11:10:18 AM »
You can't beat the weather down here in South Florida right now :) It's gorgeous out! In regards to your first cook, do you know why you couldn't get your temps past 225? I thought it was more of a challenge on the PBC to get the temps that low. I definitely try to keep the basket centered as well, I got a metal pizza pan from Publix and I put that down first to help with the ash, its' the exact same size as the basket. When I clean the PBC, I just lift out the pizza pan and dump the ash. I don't have a chimney yet, I've been using lighter fluid.

Great looking food!
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 01:00:06 PM »
You can't beat the weather down here in South Florida right now :) It's gorgeous out! In regards to your first cook, do you know why you couldn't get your temps past 225? I thought it was more of a challenge on the PBC to get the temps that low. I definitely try to keep the basket centered as well, I got a metal pizza pan from Publix and I put that down first to help with the ash, its' the exact same size as the basket. When I clean the PBC, I just lift out the pizza pan and dump the ash. I don't have a chimney yet, I've been using lighter fluid.

Great looking food!

Hi Kona About the first cook, I think the coals were not hot enough even though I followed the PBC instructions exactly.  For the second cook I just waited until they looked good and hot and then proceeded.  I also left the cover off for about 5 minutes to ensure a good bed of hot coals.  I opted for the PBC ash ring so dumping the ash is effortless.  I also invested in an $11.99 dolly from Harbor Freight which makes moving the PBC around very convenient.  About using lighter fluid, I know a lot of people swear by this method but I just cannot justify it - for me the less chemicals the better.  Home Depot and Lowes sells a chimney starter for about $15.00
Good cooking to you

Offline scottv

Lamb Ribs on the PBC
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 08:17:58 AM »
I use the log tongs from my fireplace to put the lit basket into my barrel

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 03:43:44 AM »
Never seen lamb ribs before, but I would love to try them.  Good looking ribs!
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759