Author Topic: Long cooks and butcher paper  (Read 1083 times)

Offline zero_flash

Long cooks and butcher paper
« Reply #-1 on: March 04, 2016, 09:44:47 PM »
First post on this forum, so here goes....

I cooked a 7 pound pork shoulder last weekend and decided to mix it up a little.  Inspired by Aaron Franklin, I procured some butcher paper and decided to try to use it instead of foil.  I ran into some issues though as the meat hit the stall and stayed there for a good long time.  I ended up giving up on the paper and switched out to foil to power through to get it done before the charcoal died. 

Anyway, I had a few questions from my experience:

• How long should I have expected the meat to be in the stall?  I felt it stayed at 163F or so for a good two hours before I got fed up and crutched it in foil.  How long do you think that 7 pound shoulder should have taken overall?  It was around 40F outside so maybe that affected things?
  • When do people normally wrap something in butcher paper?  After it comes our of the stall?  During?
  • How much butcher paper do you use?  One layer?  Multiple?
  • How do people handle charcoal on a long cook?  What do you do when the meat isn't done and the coals start dying?  Do you wrap in foil and bring it inside for the oven?  Do you add coals?  If so, do you heat them in the chimney again?
Sorry for all the questions.  I was pretty stumped by this last cook and wasn't sure exactly what happened.  The pulled pork turned out good in the end, but I had to fall back to my normal method.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Long cooks and butcher paper
« on: March 04, 2016, 11:30:45 PM »
Great questions and post! I am looking forward to learning along with you.... And, welcome from Minnesota.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Long cooks and butcher paper
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 09:57:55 AM »
The stall can be unpredictable.....just start early.  I rarely wrap these days. I like the bark. I do wrap loosely after I check for tenderness (not so much temp) to let the juices redistribute................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32