Author Topic: Beer Brats, fresh corn and tomatoes  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Beer Brats, fresh corn and tomatoes
« Reply #-1 on: July 16, 2014, 01:49:57 AM »
Jul 15 2014

A meal I look forward to every summer is one with fresh sweet corn and fresh tomatoes. That taste you can only get when they are in season. I local produce farm, Sutters, north of here has been in business over 30 years through three generations of family. They now set up 11 produce stands in 8 area cities. I think shortly after I retired 11 years ago they started having one here In Wapak just 3 blocks from me. I signed up for their e-mail notification and I knew the 14th would be their first day. They pick fresh daily so it is about the best corn you can buy. They open at 10:00am and some days by noon they are sold out of corn. Right now they have tomatoes from Tennessee but in a few weeks will have their own.

I took the grandson fishing this morning, with no luck, and stopped to get a half dozen ears of corn and some tomatoes for supper tonight.

Burgers or Brats are a must to have with sweet corn and tomatoes. I chose brats and had 4 chicken and 4 Cajun brats from my butcher Kah Meats. I used to fix my brats by browning on a grill and then in a beer and onion bath to simmer a while and to hold if I was having a party. After I got my Traeger smoker over 3 years ago I got to fixing them on there about an hour on smoke and then got to 350 deg. to finish. They are good that way. This time I wanted to try the beer bath again on my Weber Spirit gas grill.

I got my corn ready for a salt water soak for over an hour before cooking. I clean the corn by taking two or three outer husks off and trimming the ends then in a pot with a couple handfuls of kosher salt and cover with water. Not sure if that helps or not but it must since I have done it that way for ages!

I used the back side of my grill grates to brown the brats. The grill grates and the pan looked like they were made to fit my two burner grill. I sliced up a large Vidalia onion and in the pan with 4 good pats of butter. The grill was on the center setting and 400 deg. I put the onions on and let them simmer a while and then added two beers. I let that get warm for about 10 minutes and put a pot of water on my gas burner to heat up for the corn.

When the beer and onions were bubbling well I put the brats on for 8 minutes and then turned for another 6 minutes and then in the beer bath and added another beer. Opening and closing the lid my Weber was going from 300 to 400 deg. The brats were in the beer at least 20 minutes before I started the corn.

The corn went in rapid boiling water for 12 minutes. I had tomatoes sliced up and served all. Some of the onions and mustard went on the brats. We had butter, Penzey’s sandwich sprinkle and parmesan on the corn and Penzey’s on the tomatoes. Man did all that taste great! I had forgotten how tender and moist the brats were done in beer. You hardly notice there is a casing on it. I do like brats both ways but if you have never tried them in a beer bath you don’t know what you are missing!

Sutters corn

Cleaned and ready to soak

Onions and butter

Beer added

Brats

One side done on the brats

In the beer bath and getting happy

Corns on

My supper

Good!

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline pz

Re: Beer Brats, fresh corn and tomatoes
« on: July 16, 2014, 01:52:58 AM »
Dang, Don, you sure know how to cook!

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 01:57:02 AM »
Sure looks good
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 03:58:37 AM »
That looks really good Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 06:14:46 AM »
What else can I say?  Wow!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 08:37:21 AM »
I have ate your brats..and they are good.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 08:56:11 AM »
Fantastic Don!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 09:26:31 AM »
Don they look outstanding! Love fresh corn. Our corn out here always looks terrible :'(

Did you know that is Pappy's standard method of cooking brats? :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 11:22:13 AM »
Don,
When you put the corn in the pot to soak, had you removed the silk yet?  The silk is always the worst part for me.  Love fresh corn.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 11:53:30 AM »
Don,
When you put the corn in the pot to soak, had you removed the silk yet?  The silk is always the worst part for me.  Love fresh corn.

Art
Art..I do corn like that, soaking let's them steam till done..then just take out and use a big knife and cut off the bottom of the cob about 2 rows worth then take a hot pad and just slip them out of the husk, no silk. Works every time.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 11:56:25 AM »
Don, that is a perfect summer meal! Very nice. Great pictures, too!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 12:27:57 PM »
Don,

Art
Art..I do corn like that, soaking let's them steam till done..then just take out and use a big knife and cut off the bottom of the cob about 2 rows worth then take a hot pad and just slip them out of the husk, no silk. Works every time.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Great idea!

Oh, and Don, great looking meal ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Pappymn

Beer Brats, fresh corn and tomatoes
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 01:08:19 PM »
The corn technique is new to me as I have always peeled my corn to boil. Is 12 minutes too long? Or do you need more time cuz of the husk?  I am still trying to perfect my corn technique.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 01:08:46 PM »
Don,

Art
Art I do not remove the silk, after cooking the silk mostly all comes off when husking, any left on comes off easily. My wife tried Pam's method and said it didn't go so well. If it's too hot for your hands use a couple of hot pads. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 01:19:25 PM »
The corn technique is new to me as I have always peeled my corn to boil. Is 12 minutes too long? Or do you need more time cuz of the husk?  I am still trying to perfect my corn technique.
Pappy I used to husk and have a time getting all the silk off. I now always leave the husks on and can remove the husks easily after cooking. Like I said the silk usually comes off clean when husking. I find my method is quick and easy for me. To me steaming in a bucket with the husks on is really the best method but I don't have a steam jenny handy. I find 12 minutes is just about right. It can depend on the corn too. If I do up more for a crowd I will just serve and leave the extras in the hot water after turning the burner off to keep hot. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi