Author Topic: Sous Vide Bison Burgers  (Read 4984 times)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Sous Vide Bison Burgers
« Reply #-1 on: August 02, 2014, 08:51:56 PM »
My wife wanted burgers tonight.  I told her the only ground meat we had in the freezer was a package of bison.  Sounded good to her.  I told her I wanted to try to sous vide them.  “Whatever!”

My experience with bison is that since it is so lean, it is hard to cook when ground, unless you add some fat to it.  It can turn out "tough".  I didn’t have any fat to add, but I thought that the sous vide method may solve that problem.  After a little research on the site, I decided that I would cook the burgers in individual bags at 130 for at least 90 minutes.  My wife is super sensitive to cooking temperatures lately, so I actually ended up going 2 hours at 130.  (If the truth be known, I took a little "nap" that lasted longer than planned).  She got really sick from a bout of C-DF after her 2 surgeries earlier this year.  Essentially, her immune system was destroyed by the C-DF.  I/we/she can’t take any chances with food that could cause her problems.

We had some great corn-on-the-cob to go along with bison burgers sans buns.  I used a Top Secret rub that I am currently testing.  Given our previous experience with bison burgers, my wife said these were the best I have cooked.  They were not “chewy”, but nice and tender.  I concur with her assessment.  They were among the tastiest burgers I have had in a while.  I will be trying some grass-fed ground beef next.  Sous vide is da bomb!!

Here are a few photos so I don’t get accused of cooking unicorn burgers, sour vide style.

MY plate!!

Next time, I will make sure I have some buns to serve the burgers.  If you haven’t tried burgers, sous vide style, you really should.  This little “experiment” convinced me!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Sous Vide Bison Burgers
« on: August 02, 2014, 09:26:14 PM »
Those look delicious Art! I have been seriously pondering Sous Vide since my discussion with you and Tim a couple
weeks ago.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 09:40:29 PM »
Yes Sous Vide burgers are just fantastic and Art your's did not disappoint ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pz

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 12:08:22 AM »
Wow, those burgers look perfect!  I'm definitely going to try burgers - what you and muebe have shown looks as good as it gets for burgers

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 12:13:20 AM »
Excellent looking burgers.  ;)

I've done SV burgers too, not bison though, and they were fantastic.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 01:43:12 AM »
those look great.  throw a sliced onion on mine plz.   ;)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 07:28:04 AM »
Now that is a juicy burger!  :P

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 08:34:17 AM »
That looks really good.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

Sous Vide Bison Burgers
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 11:02:08 AM »
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline MossyMO

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 11:14:30 AM »
Excellent looking burgers Art!
Since my wife's parents raise buffalo we have had plenty of experience making buffalo burgers for almost 20 years now! Low 'n slow has always been the best, cooking them over hot, direct heat just doesn't work like it does for beef burger. We have never tried SV on buffalo burger, but your cook has inspired me and hope to try this within this next week... thanks for sharing!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 01:01:51 PM »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 01:33:20 PM »
They really do look awesome Art....

One of the most "convincing epiphanies" for me was the weighing the meat - before SV - and after. The moisture retention that we all talk about - is now more than just an expression or phrase. It is calculable, and provable.

I agree with Marty that bison, - as well as other lean meats like elk - fare much better when we do not treat them like we have traditionally done beef products. And, if I am understanding it correctly-SV seems to combine a few cooking techniques, in it's effect - if not in "fact" :):
1. confit...you are cooking the meat in it's own juices and fats, just like with pork or duck confit.
2. pressure-cooking/steaming...kind of....in that - the prevention of moisture loos is a large part of what pressure cooking and steaming do for us. It is a "pressure positive" method in that we are cooking in a sealed environment ( the vacuum bag )
3. low and slow....the one that jumps out at you first, because we are cooking meats usually in the 120-135F range ( some exceptions apply - of course )usually. Vegetable need to be cooked at higher temps than meats - which is an interesting segue....But - what I notice about this form of low and slow is that i need to cold smoke first - not a problem. Even with chicken that normally you would NOT want to cold smoke ( too much time in the danger zone temps.) but - you can do now, because of the length of time you will be cooking the chicken albeit at perhaps 135F - but for long enough time to kill potential pathogenic bacteria. ( See current FDA guidelines for safe time/temps for SV cooking )
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 01:58:31 AM »
Add burgers to my endless cooks list.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.