Author Topic: SV Chuck Roast (FAIL)  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
SV Chuck Roast (FAIL)
« Reply #-1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:21:25 PM »
I attempted a 54 hour chuck roast at 130F.  The problem was that when I pulled it there was this funky green exterior to it.  It didn't smell as bad as it looked, it had a nice beefy flavor smell to it but the color was a turn off.

Here is what it looked like.  The inside looks great but the outside is a funky looking green color.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: SV Chuck Roast (FAIL)
« on: August 27, 2014, 08:28:44 PM »
"Funky green"!!  Not good!!  I wonder what caused that.  Time to start "googling" for possible answers.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:03:17 PM »
Was it seasoned with anything before you bagged it?

I know that garlic will turn green when done Sous Vide. Could have been garlic in the rub or seasoning.

It is common for the meat to come out grey but can sometimes look green.

Was probably fine to eat however.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 09:46:55 PM »
Was it seasoned with anything before you bagged it?

I know that garlic will turn green when done Sous Vide. Could have been garlic in the rub or seasoning.

It is common for the meat to come out grey but can sometimes look green.

Was probably fine to eat however.

No seasoning or rub, just bagged it plain to give it a try and see how it turned out.  It smelled okay, was very tender, could have been edible but when I saw the green on the outside I gave up on it.  Maybe I should have seared it to see what it looked like. 
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 10:02:18 PM »
Did you rinse the meat after removing it from the store package - and before vacuum bagging? I ask - because there are some phosphate based compounds that are typically sprayed on meats to help them retain their "freshness"...As well - I have removed such meats form the store packaging - and on the back side ( the side of the meat against the adsorbent pad and package tray - they can appear to be a grey/green color.

None of them were "bad" - but, it does make one question the reason for the color, I know.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 10:56:25 PM »
Ok, I got this.

Smoke st 275 for 2 hours.
Pull off smoker and wrap in foil with butter, honey and Brown sugar.  Back on smoker for 1 more hour.
Take off and unwrap.  Back on smoker and pour foil juice over meat.
Cook until you hit desired temp.

Whenever I can help my fellow bbqer It's all good.       
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 12:44:03 AM »
Did you rinse the meat after removing it from the store package - and before vacuum bagging? I ask - because there are some phosphate based compounds that are typically sprayed on meats to help them retain their "freshness"...As well - I have removed such meats form the store packaging - and on the back side ( the side of the meat against the adsorbent pad and package tray - they can appear to be a grey/green color.

None of them were "bad" - but, it does make one question the reason for the color, I know.

You may have nailed it, no I didn't rinse it before sealing it with the Foodsaver, I'll try that next time.  ;)
----------------------

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 12:45:56 AM »
Ok, I got this.

Smoke st 275 for 2 hours.
Pull off smoker and wrap in foil with butter, honey and Brown sugar.  Back on smoker for 1 more hour.
Take off and unwrap.  Back on smoker and pour foil juice over meat.
Cook until you hit desired temp.

Whenever I can help my fellow bbqer It's all good.     

So tell us how do you get it to come out rare like that??? :P :P :P
----------------------

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 05:06:19 AM »
It was getting ready for St. Patrick's day I guess.  Isn't that how long it takes to cook a steak like that?  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS