Author Topic: Ribeyes in the Tub..1st SV Cook  (Read 1555 times)

Offline MoHuka

Ribeyes in the Tub..1st SV Cook
« Reply #-1 on: September 07, 2014, 09:47:59 AM »
Ok, wife picked up 3 nice looking Angus Premium Reserve Ribeyes at Sam's.  I sprayed with Liquid smoke and seasoned with favorite steak seasonings, vacuum sealed and in the fridge all day.  My wife likes hers more on the rare side so set the Anova for 129.  I left them in the tub for 2.5 hours, took them out, dried off, gave them a light coat of Chipotle Olive Oil and tossed them on pre-heated upside down grill grates on my Genesis.  I put mine and AJ's on first and gave them a couple of minutes a side as we like ours a little more done and Susan's I hit about 30-seconds as side. 

The result was some excellent steaks but Susan said she could not tell the difference between ones that I cook entirely on the grill grates?  I had to agree.  As you can see in the pics the steaks were at least 1-inch think and weighed about 1-lb each.

Question for you seasoned hot-tubers..should I have given them a longer bath to get that extra tenderness?

The victims

The Players

Vacuum Sealed

In the Tub

Money Shot

Happy Diners - the young man is AJ (Adolfo Andreas) the son of a dear friend of mine from Caracas, Venezuela.  He is living with us for a year while he goes to Maple Woods CC and plays soccer for their team.  The goal is for him to improve his English, which is already good, and Susan and I hope to learn a little Spanish as well
Lead a good life and treat your fellow man as you wish to be treated and the attendance at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather
---------------------------
KCBS CBJ
Bradley 6-rack with PID and 2-element mod
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
Weber Genesis with Grill Grates
ANOVA Sous Vide

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Ribeyes in the Tub..1st SV Cook
« on: September 07, 2014, 01:58:16 PM »
Steaks can be SV for up to 4 hours, the additional time may make a difference.  Ribeyes, especially the quality ones you have there, are naturally more tender than most other cuts, therefore the difference between SV and traditional grilling may not be noticeable.

I've had my best reults with SV whole primal cuts for 8 hours, slice them into steaks, then sear them.  I SV a USDA choice standing rib roast for 8 hours, roasted whole roast in the BEESR on HI for 1 hour and it turned out like a prime rib.  I also SV a 10# New York loin for 8 hours then sliced into 1" steaks and seared on GrillGrates that were the most tender New York Strips I have ever grilled.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
Nice steaks - WOW I could destroy one of those
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 03:52:13 PM »
Rib-eye is my Favorited cut  ,this one looks amazing ,
i will have to try this voodoo thing on day .
great job .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 04:45:51 PM »
Great looking steaks.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 04:46:19 PM »
Great plate Bud!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 06:56:22 PM »
Delicious looking steaks!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 07:00:53 PM »
With a fine steak like a rib eye that is already tender it will not be a noticeable difference.

Where it matters most is tougher cuts of meats.

The main benefit of SV to a rib eye would be the fact you can just give it a quick sear and have the same doneness from top to bottom. That is much more difficult to achieve without SV. Much easier to time and cook to perfection.

Try a long SV bath on a tough cut like London Broil. That is where SV will make a cheap cut into a tender and delicious cut of meat!

Also great for boneless chicken breasts. And a 50 hour bath for short ribs makes the best I have had!

Cook fish perfectly every time. And produce a perfectly cooked pork tenderloin from top to bottom and end to end!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven