Other Cooking Equipment > Cast Iron & Campfire Cooking

CI Creole Red Bean Stew over Rice (lot of pics)

(1/3) > >>

Smokin Don:
CI Creole red bean stew over rice
By RouxBDoo

Sep 20 1014

I always like using my cast iron 5 quart Dutch oven for cooking. I borrowed this recipe from one of my favorite bloggers, RouxBDoo, who I have been following for years. He does 3 blogs about New Orleans Cajun and Creole cooking, RouxBDoos Cajun and Creole Food Blog, Nola Cuisine and New Orleans Cuisine. I chose his Creole Red Bean Stew for tonight’s supper. He used canned red beans in his recipe and I used dry red beans soaked overnight, and instead of Andouille I had some of my butchers smoked sausage and some of my Tasso from the freezer to use. I used Rotel’s mild tomatoes and chilies; along with the Cajun seasoning and hot sauce it was the right amount of heat for me.

By 2:00 I had all in the pot bubbling good and put the lid on to simmer for a while. I had time to sit and have a few beers and enjoy the almost 80 deg. breezy day. At 4:00 I took the lid off the pot to let it reduce and thicken the sauce. I mixed up a boxed corn bread mix and baked it in my Wapak cast iron 9 inch skillet. The Wapak skillet is hollow ware; at least 80 years old and one I cleaned and re-seasoned.

At 5:00 the stew was getting thickened so I put the lid back on and got my rice cooking. At 20 till 6:00 I added a few good shakes of smoked paprika and stirred good then served it all at 6:00. Instead of doing my Emeril BAM to the plate with some 4 peppercorn blend; I used some Savor’s WOW and did a Tee WOW.

That was a plate full of goodness, the smoke from the Tasso, smoked sausage and smoked paprika blended well with the heat level for a great taste.

This wasn’t cooked outdoors but I sat out back while it was cooking!  ;D

Ingredients

Butter and bacon grease

Veggies are in

Smoked sausage and Tasso

Meat and dry seasoning in

Tomatoes, water and wet seasonings added

Beans added

Mixing the cornbread

A pat of butter added to skillet

Ready to bake

Cornbreads done

Came out clean with a nice color

Ready to serve

After 2 hours I took the lid off

The cast iron

My Rice

Serving my stew

Cornbread served

My supper

Smokin Don

Recipe
RouxBdoos creole red bean stew

Bean Stew

3 15 oz cans red beans
1/2 lg onion (diced)
5 ribs of celery (diced)
6 gr onions (sliced thin, green part larger)
2 tbs garlic (minced)
1 tbs Tony Chachere's
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1/2 lb andouille sausage
1/2 red bell pepper
2 bay leaves
2 tbs bacon grease (or butter)
1/2 stick butter
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs Louisiana Hot Sauce
2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 bay leaves
1 sprig fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
2 cups water

Saute the onions, green onions, garlic, celery and bell peppers in the butter/bacon grease combination until they're sweated, add the Andouille sausage, all spices and herbs.  Cook for 10 mins on MED.add the tomatoes, worcestershire and tabasco sauces, the beans and a bean can of water.  Bring to a boil, and then turn down on low and let them cook forever.  Leave the lid off to thicken the fluid.

Serve these with fluffy white rice and enjoy!

RouxBDoo

CDN Smoker:
Bookmarked for a winter cook Mr. SD

Thanks for posting  ;D

ACW3:

--- Quote from: CDN Smoker on September 21, 2014, 05:57:42 AM ---Bookmarked for a winter cook Mr. SD

Thanks for posting  ;D

--- End quote ---

Bookmarked here, too.  It will make a fine winter meal.

Art

sliding_billy:
That looks amazing (even if it will be in the 90s here today).

HighOnSmoke:
Fantastic looking meal Don! Bookmarked!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version