Recipes > Poultry

Brining Poultry

<< < (6/6)

TentHunteR:

--- Quote from: Ka Honu on November 08, 2014, 08:27:00 PM ---
--- Quote from: TentHunteR on November 08, 2014, 08:01:45 PM ---... It IS a certified Kosher salt!  No additives, anti-caking agents, etc.
--- End quote ---

Cliff -

You're absolutely correct (as most always) but you're leaving room for confusion (never a good thing around tee, dee, or me).

What we usually refer to as "kosher salt" is actually "koshering salt" because the crystal shape (flake or hollow pyramid) and size were better than other styles for absorbing blood in preparing kosher meat.

"Kosher-certified salt," however, is any salt that has been certified as usable in preparing kosher food. In theory, it can have any crystal shape or size as long as it is produced and handled according to kosher dietary requirements.

I'm guessing that on this forum (with it's preference for pork), that certification is not much of an issue.

--- End quote ---

Paul, yes, I should clarify a little better why "Certified Kosher" is what's important for brining.

As the turtle points out, there are two purposes for Kosher Salt; It's made for "Koshering" (salting meat to draw out blood then rinsing), AND it's made to be a clean, or "pure" salt in accordance with "Kosher" dietary laws.

► Koshering process: The structure of the salt matters.

"Koshering" salt's flake structure allows it to stick to the meat, without dissolving into the meat, allowing it to be rinsed away with any blood it draws out.

► Brining: The structure of the salt does NOT matter.

Once it's dissolved, salt looses it's crystalline structure.

For brining/pickling it's the "pure" quality of the salt we are after, but not because of Kosher dietary laws.  "Certified Kosher" salt is a clean salt with no additives, such as anti-caking agents (which do not dissolve) or iodine (which can affect the flavor & quality).

► One more important note: Straight tap water should really be boiled to kill pathogens and remove chlorine, then allowed to cool before using it to brine.

One advantage with pickling salt is that because it's made to dissolve easily, you can use filtered or distilled water and bypass boiling.

Hopefully this makes better sense! :)

Cliff

CaptJack:

Wish-Bone’s Brining 101 gives you a simple way to keep your turkey juicy.

Ingredients:
1 (12 to 16 lb.) turkey
2 bottles (16 oz. ea.) Wish-Bone® Italian or Robusto Italian Dressing
1 can (14.5 oz.) chicken broth
Large food-safe plastic bag or large deep non-metallic container

viscera912:
excellent information, i had to come back here to prep for next week!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version