Author Topic: Anova or Dorkfood ?????  (Read 6271 times)

Offline jjjonz

Anova or Dorkfood ?????
« Reply #-1 on: January 04, 2015, 11:48:09 AM »
I can't make a decision on which one. Could some of you give the advantages and disadvantages of both...thanks.

After watching this video about a dozen times I got to have one......

Forgot....I got plenty of all size old slow cookers.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:08:45 PM by jjjonz »
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline hikerman

Re: Anova or Dorkfood ?????
« on: January 04, 2015, 12:05:27 PM »
I have an Anova, and love it. I have nothing bad to say about it at all. It does exactly what is expected of it. As it should be. I have not heard of any disadvantages from other Anova owners. But in saying that, all the Dorkfood owners love their devices as well. The only way we might hear of one being "better" than the other is if someone owns both. Until I hear different, my thinking has both of them being excellent choices! Either way you choose, I am sure you'll be happy!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 12:53:35 PM »
I have posted this before so - apologies if I sound like a "paid public spokesperson". I am not. I owned the DSV BEFORE  Dorkfoods was asked to become a sponsor here. I was that impressed.

Here is what my use of this product shows me:
1. VERY versatile - it does not matter how thick or thin the wall of the vessel. Because - you use it to control any dial operated thermostatically controlled cooker. ANY size crock pot - sure...BUT also any turkey roaster ( mine is a 26 quart ). So, for practicality - I like this. I already owned several crock pots and a turkey roaster. Most households have a couple. Nothing else to buy!

2. Goof Proof - nothing "sits" in the water , except the temp probe itself. So  - NO potential of seals failing now - or in the future. NO moving parts in the water to fail either. ( most others have a propellor, or something to stir the water ) I have personally never found a need to stir the water for even heating. The physics principle of convection means that HEAT rises.....In the case of really large items being cooked - turn them over once per hour. Simple enough? ;D

3. Accuracy - this thing will keep temps. AT the desired temps - with an accuracy of + or - 2/10ths of ONE DEGREE F!!!!

4. PRICE....$100. What else is there to say? ;)

Look- if you need "sexy" in a kitchen appliance - it isn't. It just WORKS. Dependably, and simply. No fancy bells or whistles. It just depends on how you weigh the advantages it offers against others in the market place. They all work. It is just my nature to to prioritize based on designs based on function first. That often means that kind of product does not create a twinkle in the eye of the consumer. We are a species that as a whole are attracted to "beauty" as visually perceived. I tend to be in the minority to that response to items. ;)
The DSV is designed by engineers, to function in a simple/elegant manner... Not folks that are focused on sexy. ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 01:14:02 PM »
I decided to go with Anova coz I can use any container.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 01:18:26 PM »
I bought the DSV from Dorkfood for all the reasons Tee has already mentioned.  It works as advertised. 

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 01:30:51 PM »
I decided to go with Anova coz I can use any container.

And that is a good point Biggie.... What is the reasonable limit of the size container Anova recommends? I am guessing it is relevant to to the amount of BTU output of the heating element in the Anova? In a perfect world... having both would be nice.... ;)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline pz

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 01:32:27 PM »
I'd say that any machine would work for us home cooks.  Although our research grade water baths all have some sort of circulation mechanism to maintain precise temperatures, I doubt that you need it with or level of cooking.

The reason I chose Anova was because I do not have an old style crock pot that would work, and did not wish to purchase one. We also take our unit on the road RV-ing and wanted to use a pot we already had in the rig rather than drag along another appliance. I also like the idea of using any pot - I actually preheat the water in a pot on the stove to significantly reduce startup time.

The big advantage of the DSV is price point, if you already have a crock pot.  Because the Anova entry level model is only $30 more than the DSV, if you have to purchase a crock pot, then you're experiencing diminishing returns price wise.

The bottom line - I'd examine my personal needs and then choose accordingly - you can't go wrong with either unit (or others for that matter)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 01:34:04 PM »
Very good analysis PZ.... :)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline pz

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 01:35:27 PM »
.... What is the reasonable limit of the size container Anova recommends? I am guessing it is relevant to to the amount of BTU output of the heating element in the Anova? In a perfect world... having both would be nice.... ;)[/b]

Thanks Tee  ;)

Fairly good size - I just use a stock pot I have into which it fits well height-wise.  Up to 4-5 gallon for the Precision Cooker, and up to 5-6 gallons for the Anova One

Offline hikerman

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 01:38:08 PM »
I might add to my earlier response that I purchased my Anova before DorkFoods became a sponsor here. The timing of my purchase was based on when the sous vide-concept hit me like a ton of bricks. If DorkFoods was a sponsor before my purchase, I very likely would have gotten a DorkFood. We should all try to support our sponsors as they keep the lights on in our little site here!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 01:53:41 PM »
Ok I have owned a DSV for a while(August 2013). I believe that I am the first one on this forum to have one. I have a review posted here... http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=5621.0

I do not own an Anova although I am impressed with it's design and costs. I really don't think that either unit is a bad choice. I am biased however because I own a DSV. The Anova was not available at the time of my purchase.

Here are some other talking points about the Dorkfood DSV that Tim did not talk about.

You can run any non-digital crock pot, Turkey Roaster, Fryer, of course. But you can also use a submersible heating element also! Those can be purchased online and allow you to use ANY vessel that does not have a heating element. Just drop the element in the water.

As Tim stated there is a natural water movement that is created when the hot water is rising and the cold water is dropping. This makes a circulator not really needed especially when using a crockpot for example. But when making very large items this can disrupt that natural flow so a simple aquarium bubbler with a air pump works just fine to create better water circulation in these situations. Circulation however also creates more evaporation and a vessel without a lid will lose water pretty quickly.

Now one issue with the Anova is it is more complicated than the DSV. The motor, impeller, and o-rings can all fail due to build up of mineral deposits. Anyone who has looked at the inside of a water heater can understand what I am saying. When water is heated and evaporation occurs there is a concentration of these deposits. Very hard tap water is the cause. So if using the Anova I suggest using purified water or reverse osmosis filtered water to eliminate this possible problem. The DSV will not have a problem using tap water because the only thing you place into the water is the temp probe. So one less thing to worry about.

The housing for the DSV is well built and water tight. Plus I would not feel 100% comfortable having a device plugged into house voltage and hanging off the side of a vessel filled with water. Sorry just me. It might be completely sealed but I would still wonder. I can locate the DSV many feet away from the water filled vessel and feel confident that there will not be any issues with electricity and water. It has very long cords for the temp sensor and electric plugs.

A crockpot is very efficient at heating. The ceramic interior evenly distributes the heat through the cooker making temps very efficient. I love being able to use my large crock pot for SV cooking. Something I already had that can serve another purpose. And it has a lid.

The price is only $99.00 and you get the great customer service of Dorkfood. They are also a forum sponsor so we have a direct connection to them.

The only negative I have for the DSV is the relay clicking. But it is not that loud unless the room is completely quiet. And I actually like hearing it so I know that it is on the job regulating my water temperature with precision for a perfect cook ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RAD

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 02:01:01 PM »
I have been going back and fourth and you guys maid my mind up. Dorkford. I wasn't sure I understood the technology until you guys explained it. Thank you
Love to cook and eat

Offline Pappymn

Anova or Dorkfood ?????
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 02:08:17 PM »
These are all great reviews. All I knew when looking is that I didn't want a dedicated vessel like the sous vide supreme. I have no doubt it is great. But your size of cook is defined by the size of the vessel. Plus, it would be a storage issue for me. I already have and store the two most recommended Cambros.

You are on the right path IMHO
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 02:20:05 PM »
Ok I have owned a DSV for a while(August 2013). I believe that I am the first one on this forum to have one. I have a review posted here... http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=5621.0

I do not own an Anova although I am impressed with it's design and costs. I really don't think that either unit is a bad choice. I am biased however because I own a DSV. The Anova was not available at the time of my purchase.

Here are some other talking points about the Dorkfood DSV that Tim did not talk about.

You can run any non-digital crock pot, Turkey Roaster, Fryer, of course. But you can also use a submersible heating element also! Those can be purchased online and allow you to use ANY vessel that does not have a heating element. Just drop the element in the water.

As Tim stated there is a natural water movement that is created when the hot water is rising and the cold water is dropping. This makes a circulator not really needed especially when using a crockpot for example. But when making very large items this can disrupt that natural flow so a simple aquarium bubbler with a air pump works just fine to create better water circulation in these situations. Circulation however also creates more evaporation and a vessel without a lid will lose water pretty quickly.

Now one issue with the Anova is it is more complicated than the DSV. The motor, impeller, and o-rings can all fail due to build up of mineral deposits. Anyone who has looked at the inside of a water heater can understand what I am saying. When water is heated and evaporation occurs there is a concentration of these deposits. Very hard tap water is the cause. So if using the Anova I suggest using purified water or reverse osmosis filtered water to eliminate this possible problem. The DSV will not have a problem using tap water because the only thing you place into the water is the temp probe. So one less thing to worry about.

The housing for the DSV is well built and water tight. Plus I would not feel 100% comfortable having a device plugged into house voltage and hanging off the side of a vessel filled with water. Sorry just me. It might be completely sealed but I would still wonder. I can locate the DSV many feet away from the water filled vessel and feel confident that there will not be any issues with electricity and water. It has very long cords for the temp sensor and electric plugs.

A crockpot is very efficient at heating. The ceramic interior evenly distributes the heat through the cooker making temps very efficient. I love being able to use my large crock pot for SV cooking. Something I already had that can serve another purpose. And it has a lid.

The price is only $99.00 and you get the great customer service of Dorkfood. They are also a forum sponsor so we have a direct connection to them.

The only negative I have for the DSV is the relay clicking. But it is not that loud unless the room is completely quiet. And I actually like hearing it so I know that it is on the job regulating my water temperature with precision for a perfect cook ;)

Good write-up Mike!  ;D
There is one thing in your post I would question. "The motor, impeller, and O-rings can all fail due to build up of mineral deposits."
Everything that is submersed on the Anova is accessible for a quick wipe down/ light brushing, or just rinsing, depending on the length of cook. This is easily done by twisting the housing which then exposes all parts for inspection and cleaning. This is not possible on a water heater. I would say tho that the motor, impeller, and O-rings could fail mostly from wearing out.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 02:29:14 PM »
Gene your assuming that everyone will break it down and clean it each and everytime. I have experienced enough dryer fires while working to know people's habits. They are supposed to clean the lint trap everytime they use the dryer but neglect too. Then their house burns down.

You are right that if you clean it everytime this will reduce the chance of accumulation in the Anova. But there are nucks and crannies that can get gummed up. If I had one I would just buy a jug of purified water to use because I hate having to clean something.

And having to thoroughly clean it each time could be looked at as a negative depending on how much you like cleaning.

Using purified water would eliminate this issue but then you are buying/using special water. If you have a water filtration system like reverse osmosis that will work. Something like Brita, PUR, or fridge filter does not.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven