Author Topic: Anova or Dorkfood ?????  (Read 6270 times)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Anova or Dorkfood ?????
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 02:37:42 PM »
What I do to eliminate any deposits building up on the submersible part of my Anova units is pour a few ounces of vinegar in the water when doing a cook.  No need for distilled or RO treated water using this method.

Also for preheating the water I just let the tap water run until it is as hot as it will get, usually around 130F degrees out of the tap, before filling the pot. That is in the range that I SV most my meat at.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline hikerman

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 02:40:29 PM »
I agree 100% Mike. Maybe I'm anal but whenever I use a tool, (and these units are tools) it is cleaned before being stored away. Ready for it's next use. Which generally extends it's life expectancy. Many people do not prescribe to these measures and will toss away said tool, and simply repurchase. That is one of my personal pet peeves. Remember the old ads from Fram Oil Filters?  Tthe mechanic says "you can buy one now, OR pay me later!"  Meaning engine over-haul!

Offline Pappymn

Anova or Dorkfood ?????
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 02:40:45 PM »

What I do to eliminate any deposits building up on the submersible part of my Anova units is pour a few ounces of vinegar in the water when doing a cook.  No need for distilled or RO treated water using this method.

Also for preheating the water I just let the tap water run until it is as hot as it will get, usually around 130F degrees out of the tap, before filling the pot. That is in the range that I SV most my meat at.

Good tip on the vinegar
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 02:42:30 PM »

Ralph, I do the same for water temp.  But will have to try the vinegar method. Great idea!

Offline pz

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 02:42:48 PM »
I have really hard well water, and all I do is twist off the housing, rinse it off and let it air dry.  So far, nothing even remotely resembling deposits.  The only moving part immersed in the water is the propeller (but not any of it's seals which are high in the unit above the water level).  The only other part in the water other than the cylindrical housing is the heating unit.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 03:52:09 PM »
I might add to my earlier response that I purchased my Anova before DorkFoods became a sponsor here. The timing of my purchase was based on when the sous vide-concept hit me like a ton of bricks. If DorkFoods was a sponsor before my purchase, I very likely would have gotten a DorkFood. We should all try to support our sponsors as they keep the lights on in our little site here!
[/b]

And - while that is true...LTBBQ IS and will ALWAYS be USER DRIVEN. And, that means that the honest discussions like we are having here - are the most powerful information that our sponsors can obtain - in order to continue improving, making new models that answer needs by the consumer, etc...SO - great discussion folks - and always "tell it like it is" ( with friendly, respectful tone of course :D ;D)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 04:25:03 PM »
After watching this video about a dozen times I got to have one......

The guy in the video needs to learn how to pronounce Maillard, he pronounced it mallard like a type of duck, it's pronounced my-YAR.

Maillard reaction is named after French chemist Louis-Camille Maillard not a Mallard duck. ::)
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2015, 04:35:29 PM »

The guy in the video needs to learn how to pronounce Maillard, he pronounced it mallard like a type of duck, it's pronounced my-YAR.

Maillard reaction is named after French chemist Louis-Camille Maillard not a Mallard duck. ::)

Funny .....my wife says I need to learn how to spell and pronounce sous vide before I buy anything. ;D ; ::)
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2015, 04:47:25 PM »

Funny .....my wife says I need to learn how to spell and pronounce sous vide before I buy anything. ;D ; ::)

You got spelling of "sous vide" correct all you have to do is learn to say "sue veed" and you're good to go. ;)
----------------------

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2015, 06:54:22 PM »
I decided to go with Anova coz I can use any container.

And that is a good point Biggie.... What is the reasonable limit of the size container Anova recommends? I am guessing it is relevant to to the amount of BTU output of the heating element in the Anova? In a perfect world... having both would be nice.... ;)

Says 6 gallons but I bet it can be pushed easily with a well insulated container.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2015, 08:41:05 PM »
I decided to go with Anova coz I can use any container.

And that is a good point Biggie.... What is the reasonable limit of the size container Anova recommends? I am guessing it is relevant to to the amount of BTU output of the heating element in the Anova? In a perfect world... having both would be nice.... ;)

Says 6 gallons but I bet it can be pushed easily with a well insulated container.

If you do a lot of catering and need to cook for a crowd, get a larger container and use 2 of the Anovas together - expand it with a 3rd.  Sorry, I just watched a video with a chef using 2 units on opposite ends....cooked a lot.

I'll be off the fence and in the pool pretty soon...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2015, 08:53:55 PM »
Here is a 1000W bucket heater that you can plug directly into the DSV and heat gallons and gallons of water. I can picture Tim with a 500 gallon aquarium cooking a couple of rib eyes :D

http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Precision-Premier-742G-Bucket/dp/B000BDB4UG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420422437&sr=8-2&keywords=submersible+heating+element

Whole Sous Vide Hog anyone? 8)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2015, 09:33:19 PM »
Here is a 1000W bucket heater that you can plug directly into the DSV and heat gallons and gallons of water. I can picture Tim with a 500 gallon aquarium cooking a couple of rib eyes :D

http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Precision-Premier-742G-Bucket/dp/B000BDB4UG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420422437&sr=8-2&keywords=submersible+heating+element

Whole Sous Vide Hog anyone? 8)

Funny...and close to home...Until a couple of years ago - I had approx. 1500 gallons of saltwater in circulation in my office...2 very big aquarium, which were maintained by computers and heat pump/chillers, using a controller very much like the DSV.... :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401