Author Topic: Anova Touch  (Read 4149 times)

Offline TecCrash

• It's not just the grill smokin...
Anova Touch
« Reply #-1 on: January 23, 2015, 02:17:26 PM »
Has any one else ran across information on this one?   I wonder if they will run another Kickstart on it?

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/06/anova-touch-wifi-sous-vide/
Chris

OKJ Longhorn
Cook-Air
SRG
22.5 Weber Kettle
Camp Chef Explorer with Griddle
Generic Gasser - GONE - Got something else to store my stuff in.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Anova Touch
« on: January 23, 2015, 02:33:06 PM »
I believe they already have that available. Or at least one that can be controlled via Bluetooth
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 02:43:49 PM »
The Precision Cooker that I just received is bluetoothically enabled, but only with an I-phone app..which I don't have.

Can't imagine needing the app because I'm standing right there when I turn on the cooker.  I set the temp and the time and it's all good from there.  It holds the set temp very closely, so I don't have to diddle with it or worry about it.  My house isn't so big that it wears me out to go check it if I want to.  I usually set a timer on my smarty pants phone to keep me reminded of the time.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 03:22:04 PM »
The Precision Cooker that I just received is bluetoothically enabled, but only with an I-phone app..which I don't have.

Can't imagine needing the app because I'm standing right there when I turn on the cooker.  I set the temp and the time and it's all good from there.  It holds the set temp very closely, so I don't have to diddle with it or worry about it.  My house isn't so big that it wears me out to go check it if I want to.  I usually set a timer on my smarty pants phone to keep me reminded of the time.

What Jack says...  ;)
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 03:36:33 PM »
The Anova Touch they mention in the article will be WiFi enabled instead of Bluetooth like the current Anova Precision.  I'm sure if they do a Kickstart program on it I'll get an email notification about it.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 03:42:48 PM »
I am a simple guy (for those of you that haven't already figured that out.) I get it that folks like their phones and apps, but I never have. I use a Thermopen to check the temp of my food. I've never felt the need to monitor the cook temp. I realize that there are good reasons to do it, but never been on my radar. I just want devices that work well - don't want to pay more for being connected. That's just me.
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

Anova Touch
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 04:13:59 PM »

I am a simple guy (for those of you that haven't already figured that out.) I get it that folks like their phones and apps, but I never have. I use a Thermopen to check the temp of my food. I've never felt the need to monitor the cook temp. I realize that there are good reasons to do it, but never been on my radar. I just want devices that work well - don't want to pay more for being connected. That's just me.

Pretty soon your grill will nag you that you are doing it wrong.???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 04:15:12 PM »

I will get a new grill...  ;D ;D

I am a very happy curmudgeon!
Member #

Offline TecCrash

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 04:16:33 PM »
The Anova Touch they mention in the article will be WiFi enabled instead of Bluetooth like the current Anova Precision.  I'm sure if they do a Kickstart program on it I'll get an email notification about it.

It's the wi-fi that interests me ...  If I can monitor temps remotely from work that would be handy.  I'm planning on ordering a precision this weekend either way.
Chris

OKJ Longhorn
Cook-Air
SRG
22.5 Weber Kettle

Offline TecCrash

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 04:20:29 PM »
I just want devices that work well - don't want to pay more for being connected. That's just me.

The reliability is key! 
Chris

OKJ Longhorn
Cook-Air
SRG
22.5 Weber Kettle

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 04:26:55 PM »

It's the wi-fi that interests me ...  If I can monitor temps remotely from work that would be handy.  I'm planning on ordering a precision this weekend either way.

Cool.....Then you will be added to their returning customer list and if they do a Kickstart program on the Touch you should get a notice with a discount on the next one.  After I purchased my Anova One I got a discount code for $50 off the Anova Precision, making the price of the Precision $129.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 05:04:13 PM »
It sounds nice but do you really need to control temps remotely or monitor temps with a device that keeps water within 1/2 a degree of set temp?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TecCrash

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 05:21:02 PM »
It sounds nice but do you really need to control temps remotely or monitor temps with a device that keeps water within 1/2 a degree of set temp?

Probably not .... Not that I can do much about an issue from work anyway  :)
Chris

OKJ Longhorn
Cook-Air
SRG
22.5 Weber Kettle

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 01:11:01 AM »
They will end up watering down a perfectly good device.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 02:37:34 PM »

I don't have to buy a new grill to do that, my wife does it for free.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 03:54:55 PM by TwoPockets »
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware