Author Topic: Brats & Corn  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Brats & Corn
« Reply #-1 on: February 04, 2015, 11:54:20 PM »
Did a twin sous vide dinner with brats in one and corn on the cob in the other.

For the brats I grilled some onions in a skillet with brown sugar then added a bottle of beer.  The brats were placed in bag with the onion/beer sauce @ 140F for 90 minutes.  They were finished off in a skillet for the Maillard reaction.  Because of the amount of liquid involved I did not vacuum seal these, put them in a ZipLock bag and used the water displacement method.

For the corn on the cob I made a compound butter mixed with WOW and placed that in a ZipLock bag with the corn and also used the water displacement method.  The corn went into the hot tub for an hour at 180F.

The brats were great, but to be honest they weren't any better sous vide then grilling them and finishing them in a beer bath with onions.  Still good but SV didn't make them any better.  Now the corn on the cob was another story, it was fantastic.  I now have another go-to method for corn on the cob, in addition to my pressure cooker method and my roasted in the BEESR method.  Sous vide corn on the cob left the corn firm and every kernel popped out of the cob perfectly with every bite.  If you have a sous vide you must try corn on the cob, you'll be glad you did.

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Brats & Corn
« on: February 05, 2015, 01:51:12 AM »
Nice looking plate.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 02:23:44 AM »
Nice report on your cook Ralph. And that is a great looking plate! I gotta try the sv corn!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 03:34:44 AM »
I will definitely being trying the corn on cob in the SV Ralph. Looks real good!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 06:48:42 AM »
Thanks for trying the Brats. Now I know not a real advantage. Going to have to try SV corn however ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

Brats & Corn
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 10:06:26 AM »

Thanks for trying the Brats. Now I know not a real advantage. Going to have to try SV corn however ;)

X2
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 11:52:01 AM »
I will definitely being trying the corn on cob in the SV Ralph. Looks real good!

X2!!
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11