FORUM SPONSORS > Savor Spices

FSB Boneless Pork Butt

(1/6) > >>

HighOnSmoke:
Boneless pork butts were on sale this past week for $1.09 a pound.  I normally will buy bone-in, but they were
$1.49 a pound.  This will be my first non bone-in pork butt. I took this 9.5 pound pork butt and injected it with
teesquare’s recipe. The only modification I made to this was I used Mango Nectar instead of apple juice.  It was
vacuum sealed on Friday night and I took it out of the refrigerator this morning.  I had to use my heavy duty silicone
bands to hold the butt together. My wife picked these up somewhere awhile back and they do come in handy.
I gave it another shot of Fine Swine and Bovine then went out to fire up the Weber Performer.

The Performer is set up in a snake using Royal Oak Lump Charcoal with a couple chunks of hickory and apple wood. 
I am also using my vortex, with a pie pan of water, as a heat deflector.

The butt was put on the Performer at 6:45 this morning.

Here it is after 3 hours.  I have been rotating the grill rack every hour to keep the butt from the direct heat.  It has
been raining fairly heavily for the past couple of hours and the Performer has been running between 250 to 275.

After 6 hours it is stalled at 160.  I double wrapped it in foil with a little more Mango Nectar and put it in the oven at 250.
This was also a first for me. I normally would have stuck it out on the grill, but I am fighting a head cold and I just didn’t
feel like it! ;)  The stormy weather that wasn’t too bad this morning is getting worse, with heavy winds, so into the oven it
goes to finish.

Here it is after 11 hours cooking time and 1 hour rest.

Your plate with some boxed cheesy broccoli and boxed mac n cheese!

Simply amazing flavor throughout the pork.  I probably won’t use apple juice again as the flavor from the Mango
Nectar was out of this world.  I also believe that the 3 plus days in the refrigerator contributed to the final product. 
I just may be finishing all my longer cooks in the oven as I did not see any difference in the final product.  The pork
had a great smoke flavor and the bark was still good.

ACW3:
DAYUM, that looks good!!!  Nice one, Mike!!

Art

TentHunteR:
Mango nectar huh?  That does sound good.

teesquare:
The 3 day recommendations because of our lower salt content. ;) I love the sound of the mango juice Mike. I will try that sometime soon! Beautiful color on it.

Tell us about the silicone  ties you used. Where did you get them?

HighOnSmoke:

--- Quote from: teesquare on February 24, 2015, 08:55:47 PM ---The 3 day recommendations because of our lower salt content. ;) I love the sound of the mango juice Mike. I will try that sometime soon! Beautiful color on it.

Tell us about the silicone  ties you used. Where did you get them?

--- End quote ---

I wish that my wife could remember Tim! I asked her tonight and she said she didn't remember. I am thinking they either came from Williams Sonoma or the Home-good Store. Her two favorite places to find BBQ stuff for me.  ;) I know that Owens BBQ sells silicone bands that work the same way. These are made out of food safe heavy duty silicone and are dishwasher safe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version