Author Topic: First attempt - Sous vide sort of - unicorn  (Read 725 times)

Offline djm3801

• Food is love.
First attempt - Sous vide sort of - unicorn
« Reply #-1 on: March 20, 2015, 10:56:49 PM »
Got an inexpensive thermostat controller off EBAY for $27. The instructions left a bit to be desired, but... more on that. Got a brand new 7 qt crock pot scratch and dent at a garage sale for $15 - never used and had all factory documentation. So for an investment of $42, I am on my way I guess. Bought a preseasoned pork tenderloin as I lacked a vacuum bagger. So.. since the wife is not as fond of medium rare pork, I set the temp at 140 and tossed it in.  The meat was out of the fridge. So, with this little controller there are a lot of settings I had to understand. I had one wrong. I checked it a hour later and the temp was up to 151! Added some cold water to bring it down, and figured I should go back to the instructions for the controller. Found my error - I have to say this little thing has a LOT of controls - reset it and left it at 140 for another hour.

Removed it, internal temp about 137. Seared it on stove in some butter and the spices that were in the bag. So... It was pretty good! A bit overdone - likely the un-noticed rise to 151 did not help but... It was a tad pink inside, very moist. No real photographic moments so not food pics.

The bargain basement controller that was actually shipped from China - photo from Ebay:

Lessons learned:
1- Bring meat up to room temp first
2 - Should have done a trial run with controller and just water to learn it - a bargain controller is not a bargain if the instructions are hit or miss. Reality is I went back to the EBAY site where I bought it and they actually have a number to call if you cannot understand the instructions.
3 - Good results can be achieved with a DIY setup.
4 - If this is a method you are REALLY interested in it may be better to buy a better documented model but - next cook will work correctly now that I wrote down the proper settings.

On to a rib eye!

Food - It's all good.

Char Broil 4 burner RED
Big Easy
Masterbuilt 40" ss electric smoker
WSM 18"
Large Big Green Egg
Roundboy wood burning pizza oven
Master Grill 3 burner
18" Old Smokey
Chef's Choice 610 slicer - Great tool
New Pit Barrel Cooker (PCB)
Retired Char Broil smoker (RIP old friend)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: First attempt - Sous vide sort of - unicorn
« on: May 12, 2015, 08:04:53 PM »
DJ,would like to hear more on your experiences with this controller,if its good this would help out getting those on the fence to try SV.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 08:08:49 PM »
Good first try - sounds like the tenderloin was good and you learned some lessons. Looking forward to more of your cooks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

First attempt - Sous vide sort of - unicorn
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 08:16:37 PM »
Nice. Try a chuck roast. SV really shines on tougher cuts of meat
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 08:24:47 PM »
Nice. Try a chuck roast. SV really shines on tougher cuts of meat
Yup.I got a tender corned beef,thats crazy.Same story with chuck here too.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.