Author Topic: Another Hybrid Cook  (Read 6008 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Another Hybrid Cook
« Reply #-1 on: March 21, 2015, 06:30:31 PM »
A recent post from cookiecdmk got me thinking. Actually most of these posts get me thinking.  ;)

Anyway, cookie talked about smoking a corned beef and then finishing it sous vide. That sounded pretty interesting. I found a corned beef on sale and let it swim in a bucket of water in the fridge over night - changing the water frequently to pull the salt out. I did not use the little spice packet that came with it. Instead, when I took it out of the fridge, I drained and patted it dry, then rubbed with Savor BBQ rub. I wanted to use M3 but, well that is a sad story.

While I was in ND with my dad, my wife decided to clean out my spice cabinet - ok cabinet and counter and other places...  ::) I do not know what her criteria for keeping tossing was, but my special stash of M3 vanished...  :'( Oh the humanity!

Anyway, BBQ Savor is a very nice rub and smells terrific.

So, right now the point is rubbed and in the smoker with pecan and apple wood. They are my favorites.

The plan is for 2 - 3 hours of smoke and then in the sous vide at 135* for 48 hours. After that into the fridge to cool and then sliced and reheated for sandwiches for dinner Tuesday night (both Emma and her BF are not working that night.)

Will update as things move along.

Cheers,

D

[attachment deleted by admin]

You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Another Hybrid Cook
« on: March 21, 2015, 06:47:22 PM »
Sounds delicious.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 06:50:09 PM »
Just went outside - didn't open the smoker, but the aroma... ohhhhh boy.....
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

Another Hybrid Cook
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 06:55:38 PM »
If the Mrs. Cleaned out my spice cabinet we MAY have a few words of a colorful nature.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 07:00:45 PM »
Yeah, we did - just didn't think they were appropriate in this forum...  ;) :D
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 07:17:33 PM »
Just took another wiff... oh boy this is smelling good.
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 07:30:38 PM »
David, I can smell that wonderful aroma down here delivered with unfortunately the cold wind from your direction!  :D
Your process sounds like a winner! Watching........

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 08:03:17 PM »
David, I can smell that wonderful aroma down here delivered with unfortunately the cold wind from your direction!  :D
Your process sounds like a winner! Watching........

Thanks, Gene. Just went out for another wiff... ohhhhh boy that is smelling good. Glad the doggie is at grandparents house for dinner or he would be going nuts!

A neighbor just came by, walking his (little) doggie - asked when dinner would be ready...  :D
Member #

Offline djm3801

• Food is love.
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 10:04:35 PM »
This is interesting but not likely something I will make. The wife does not like corned beef and not too fond of smoked food. As example, she likes ribs from the gasser better than those I smoke. The PBC is sort of a compromise for her. Go figure.. looking forward to the results.

I think over time I will just make things I like and make her something separate - Like a lovely gas grilled chicken breast.
Food - It's all good.

Char Broil 4 burner RED
Big Easy
Masterbuilt 40" ss electric smoker
WSM 18"
Large Big Green Egg
Roundboy wood burning pizza oven
Master Grill 3 burner
18" Old Smokey
Chef's Choice 610 slicer - Great tool
New Pit Barrel Cooker (PCB)
Retired Char Broil smoker (RIP old friend)

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 11:19:57 PM »
This is interesting but not likely something I will make. The wife does not like corned beef and not too fond of smoked food. As example, she likes ribs from the gasser better than those I smoke. The PBC is sort of a compromise for her. Go figure.. looking forward to the results.

I think over time I will just make things I like and make her something separate - Like a lovely gas grilled chicken breast.

Actually, it is "funny" my wife does not like BBQ or smoked or almost anything off the grill. She does not like "hot" Taco Bell is spicy for her... But, I like this and make it anyway. Some times I share it with my daughters and some times I enjoy it alone...
Member #

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 07:27:43 AM »
I'll be waiting to see this one too!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline djm3801

• Food is love.
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 08:56:22 AM »
Well you and I share the same situations, although she will eat hot food. I used to brew ales. Did some great ones. She would never sample one. Oh well.

You must write suspense novels. This thread is like "It smells great!" "As we get closer to the end of the cook, the smell is intoxicating!"       "The aroma emanating from the cooker is drawing attention of others and I fear I will be discovered!".. waiting for the photos...

Food - It's all good.

Char Broil 4 burner RED
Big Easy
Masterbuilt 40" ss electric smoker
WSM 18"
Large Big Green Egg
Roundboy wood burning pizza oven
Master Grill 3 burner
18" Old Smokey
Chef's Choice 610 slicer - Great tool
New Pit Barrel Cooker (PCB)
Retired Char Broil smoker (RIP old friend)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 12:01:07 PM »
Looking forward to your results David!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 12:45:43 PM »
Forgot to post this last night = out of the smoker after 2.5 hours. Then into a bag and into the spa at 135* (no picture...)

I am enjoying the sous vide method more than I thought I would. But, one downside - no aromas to entice the neighbors to drop by...  ;) ;D

Member #

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 04:36:18 PM »
Waiting patiently David!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch