Author Topic: Bologna Cheeseburger  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Bologna Cheeseburger
« Reply #-1 on: May 13, 2015, 11:22:28 AM »
May 13 2015

Last night’s supper was quick and easy. I love bologna sandwiches and cheeseburgers so why not put the two together? I had bought a frozen broccoli and cheddar bake that looked good, gluten free so that would be a quick side to have. I think the older I get the more I turn to frozen veggies and pasta dishes for sides; they do have some that are pretty good. My buns were onion poppy seed Ciabata.

My bologna was Bohrer and Moore old fashioned bung bologna sliced ¼ inch thick. I get it from my butcher Kah Meats. Bohrer and Moore was a meat packing company in Wapakoneta, Ohio that went out of business due to large packers. Not sure when they started, probably in the late 40’s. My uncle who was a butcher, and ran a grocery when I was growing up in the 50’s; got his hams from there. It was the best ham I ever ate. I think they were still in business when I moved here in 1973. When they went out of business the owner knew Dick Kah from Kah Meats loved his bologna so he gave him the recipe. I am sure glad he did; I have found no better bologna out there.

I made up the burgers with a press and made them thin. I had my Weber Spirit at 350-400 deg. with Grillen Grates. The burgers went on 4 minutes then flipped for 3 minutes, Swiss cheese added to melt and the buns to brown. I had cut the edges of the bologna to keep it from curling; it went on a little after the burgers. I had my side heating in the microwave.

It was a good sandwich, and one was enough to fill you up! I had some Vidalia onion and mustard on mine. My wife and I both liked it but think they are better when done alone. Bacon is still tops to add to a burger. I thought about it and had to try it! I liked the broccoli cheddar bake but the wife said it left her with an aftertaste.

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Bologna Cheeseburger
« on: May 13, 2015, 11:47:50 AM »
You are my hero today.  I love bologna.  Funny... I have even got the wife starting to like it, and she was very anti for the longest time.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 11:49:30 AM »
Oh mama!

That hits all the right notes. I don't care where you are from...THAT samich will make you drool and smile ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 12:01:48 PM »
Gosh, that looks outstanding! And I'll be outstanding your yard waiting for mine
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 12:51:58 PM »
 That sounds really good.  So I'm going to lunch!
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 03:10:07 PM »
Don that looks fantastic - great idea!
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 03:19:43 PM »
Looks good Don! But I am a purist. So I'll take a fried bologna sandwich with lots o' mustard and a cheeseburger with all the fixins! Please!  8)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 06:07:49 PM »
Looks good  :P :P
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 09:37:08 PM »
Oh mama!

That hits all the right notes. I don't care where you are from...THAT samich will make you drool and smile ;D

Drooling and smiling here!!  That does look good!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11