Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Garden to Table - Growing Your Own!

Spuds 2015 Garden

<< < (2/4) > >>

HighOnSmoke:
Awesome looking garden Spuds!

spuds:

--- Quote from: hikerman on June 03, 2015, 10:47:26 PM ---Hey Spuds! That's a sweet fruit crop on the horizon!
I have not grown elephant garlic but the strains we grow in Illinois are planted in the fall and harvested in mid to late Summer. You want the strands to dry but you want a few green ones still before you harvest. If the strands are all dry....it's too late.
Everything is looking great!

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the answer Gene! We tried like 3 years running and wouldnt grow in ground,last fall into pots and WOW,we have garlic.Going to greatly expand next year.

Ive been trying since about 2000 to get this mtn gardening to work,sure wish I had had a mentor but seems folks up here dont garden,a few apple trees,and the ubiquitous berries,thats it.Only other thing we see is tons of flower bulbs,man alive they do well here.

Thanks for looking and commenting,much appreciated.When/if  we get fruit production will post.

OH! I tried 2 pomegranates last year,low temp types,and both came thru with flying colors,So I trimmed them back to tree form.Man alive would it be nice to have a couple pomegranates,pom juice,yumm,and boy do they have beautiful red flowers too when in bloom,how nice is that? 8)

hikerman:
Spuds, I don't know how this affects your aqua-culture,  but garlic likes to have a chilled period before growth. That explains why the Fall planting so the bulbs over-winter in soil, but you can plant in Spring. You just need to put your garlic cloves in refrigeration for a few weeks before planting. And a tip, the larger the cloves you plant the larger the heads will be at harvest.

spuds:

--- Quote from: hikerman on June 04, 2015, 01:08:52 PM ---Spuds, I don't know how this affects your aqua-culture,  but garlic likes to have a chilled period before growth. That explains why the Fall planting so the bulbs over-winter in soil, but you can plant in Spring. You just need to put your garlic cloves in refrigeration for a few weeks before planting. And a tip, the larger the cloves you plant the larger the heads will be at harvest.

--- End quote ---
Thanks Gene for the pointers.They are planted in pots outdoors over winter,then pots transferred  into hoop house to get going in spring,then when weather stable back into yard.No aquaculture involved with them.I will be sure to use my best cloves,thanks.Going to plant a LOT next year.

Had some neighbors over yesterday that were hugely impressed by the genetic dwarfs,they have limited space too and are going to plant a bunch of them.Cool,now we have 2 people out spreading the word that these trees work well up here.

hikerman:

--- Quote from: spuds on June 05, 2015, 03:14:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: hikerman on June 04, 2015, 01:08:52 PM ---Spuds, I don't know how this affects your aqua-culture,  but garlic likes to have a chilled period before growth. That explains why the Fall planting so the bulbs over-winter in soil, but you can plant in Spring. You just need to put your garlic cloves in refrigeration for a few weeks before planting. And a tip, the larger the cloves you plant the larger the heads will be at harvest.

--- End quote ---
Thanks Gene for the pointers.They are planted in pots outdoors over winter,then pots transferred  into hoop house to get going in spring,then when weather stable back into yard.No aquaculture involved with them.I will be sure to use my best cloves,thanks.Going to plant a LOT next year.

Had some neighbors over yesterday that were hugely impressed by the genetic dwarfs,they have limited space too and are going to plant a bunch of them.Cool,now we have 2 people out spreading the word that these trees work well up here.

--- End quote ---

Good news for spreading fruit trees. You'll soon be known as Spudsie Peach Seed!  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version