Author Topic: Cod (baked/smoked/burnt)  (Read 1529 times)

TQB

Cod (baked/smoked/burnt)
« Reply #-1 on: June 15, 2015, 04:13:55 PM »
I got rained out early at work today and have been craving fish for sometime now. So I stopped off at the local seafood store to see what they had. They had 2 decent looking Cod fillet's so I grabbed them.

I have always been a little hesitant on doing fish low/slow so I usually go heavy on the wood chunks/chips and do it at 350. I used some cherry chunks and chips I have been meaning to use up, lathered it them up with Olive Oil and some rub and off to the grill it went.

It didnt turn out to bad, but it was a little dry for me. The rest of the family loved it, but it was done a little to much for me. Oh well, guess you cant hit a home-run every time!

Thanks for looking.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: Cod (baked/smoked/burnt)
« on: June 15, 2015, 04:34:12 PM »
I have done fish low and slow on my pellet smoker and used cedar planks, I don't get the planks charred but think it lets the fish cook in it's own juices and stay moist. It might work in your ceramic cooker. I though your cod looked good!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 04:39:44 PM »
Looks good from here - cod is a difficult fish to get right (in my experience, anyway...  ;) ::) )

Funny to see this post - I made some salmon (sous vide) last night and Rocky, my youngest daughter, asked me to make cod next time. Seems she had some at her friend's house and loved it. I asked her friend's mom how she did it - a simple salt and Old Bay shake.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

TQB

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 04:40:41 PM »
I have done fish low and slow on my pellet smoker and used cedar planks, I don't get the planks charred but think it lets the fish cook in it's own juices and stay moist. It might work in your ceramic cooker. I though your cod looked good!!! Don

I normally do mine in the Pellet Grill too, but also at 350*. I have never tried the cedar planks, but have heard glaring results. I will have to try one next time. I only used the egg this time because its been raining off and on all day. I didnt want to risk getting the pellet hopper wet. Had that happen one time and not something I look foreword to ever having happen again.  ;D

TQB

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 04:43:31 PM »
Looks good from here - cod is a difficult fish to get right (in my experience, anyway...  ;) ::) )

Funny to see this post - I made some salmon (sous vide) last night and Rocky, my youngest daughter, asked me to make cod next time. Seems she had some at her friend's house and loved it. I asked her friend's mom how she did it - a simple salt and Old Bay shake.

I dont do much to any fish. Usually just olive oil, salt, pepper, and some rub that doesnt leave much taste behind. The wife and kids loved it, but I thought it was a little dry. Then again usually when I have fish its Sushi.  ;D

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 04:50:29 PM »

I dont do much to any fish. Usually just olive oil, salt, pepper, and some rub that doesnt leave much taste behind. The wife and kids loved it, but I thought it was a little dry. Then again usually when I have fish its Sushi.  ;D

My daughters and I love sushi - Rocky says she hates fish, but gobbles up the sushi!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 05:18:49 PM »
Great looking cod! Nothing burnt about that!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 05:53:49 PM »
Looks very  good. Definitely doesn't look  burnt.
 You can always make a relish to top it with! Saved me a few times for sure.
Fish is so easy to dry out and it happens fast. And it seems every fish is a little different. I think that has to do with how long its been sitting. When we cook "same day" fish its always moist.
 Back when I fished off shore we would cook snapper on an alcohol stove (They are Low heat). The butter never even changes color...
 Catch it, filet it,  just butter and garlic... No fish has ever come close to that. Cleaned and served, 15 minutes... 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 06:30:49 PM »
Looks plenty edible from here.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 06:40:13 PM »
Cod is very low fat!
It helps to top with a chutney , aioli or seasoned olive oil.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp