Author Topic: Searing in a cast iron skillet  (Read 1167 times)

Offline thunndarr

Searing in a cast iron skillet
« Reply #-1 on: June 28, 2015, 09:44:33 PM »
Hey all, just thought I'd get some of your thoughts on this. How much oil (if any) do you put in a cast iron skillet when you are searing a steak?

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Re: Searing in a cast iron skillet
« on: June 28, 2015, 10:24:13 PM »
No more than a paper towel will leave when used to wipe the pan.
Maybe oil the steak itself and land it in a very hot pan. A pan with ribs if you have one.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 10:34:07 PM »
When I do a pan seared steak I do not oil the pan - it is dry (other that might have been left when I cleaned the pan). I put the pan in a 500* oven to get it screaming hot, then put over high heat on the stove. I make sure the steak is dry - pat with paper towels, then add a very small amount of canola or grape seed oil and kosher salt on both sides. I do not use pepper or spices at this point - salt is a rock and won't burn, the rest will.

The oil is not to make it non-stick, but to transfer heat efficiently - you don't need a lot. If you add too much or oil the pan, you risk a lot of smoke and not get the great crust.

Onto the pan and let it sit to develop a crust - about 2 minutes and flip. Now I might add some pepper to the top side and give it another minute or two - looking for about 125* for medium rare. Pull and top with some compound butter while it rests. (Got the idea from Alton Brown.)

I found a different method awhile back, but have never tried it - http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016334-cast-iron-steak. Might have to try it sometime.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 10:43:02 PM by drholly »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 08:54:22 AM »
A nice fatty steak like a rib eye will create it's own oil so just a very light coating is enough to get the ball rolling.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 03:42:16 PM »
These are the things that help me sear, and they are not the "only" way. Just what works for me.
So, after removing the meat from the Sous Vide ( save the juices from a big or multiple steaks*)

1. Dry the meat well. After marinading, or applying rub - put the meat in the fridge, preferably on a wire rack for overnite. The cold dry air will help evaporate near surface moisture.

2. Remove meat from fridge, and use paper towels to dab/pat meat dry. Then use PAM or similar spray canola to apply a THIN amount of oil. Then coarse kosher salt sprinkled, and rubbed into surface of meat.

3. Place cold, dry, cast iron or carbon steel skillet in oven, under broiler at 500F for 15-20 minutes. Once the pan is hot - remove and place over largest eye on the range top - on high.

4. Place meat in pan for sear. How long to leave it on each side is dependent on how well done you like the exterior. Sometimes I use a Le Creuset  ribbed pan - and sometimes I use a plain surface pan. Aesthetically, I like the look of grill marks. And, the caramelization                                                            ( see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction ) that occurs adds some flavor in those marks.
But - if you want that nice browning to be more evenly distributed all over the surface ( and more of that flavoring too ) the flat bottom pan will do that.

If you want to focus the finish of your steak on some nice grill marks - pick the ribbed pan. Again, I use both - for variety.

* Now...about those juices that you saved: Pour them into a small stew pot. Add a little beef broth, some ground horseradish, and some A-1 steak sauce, and a splash of white wine if you like... Taste and adjust the ratios to suit you. You can add grilled minced onion, and or canned sliced mushrooms to this as you like too... Simmer for a few minutes...then put them in your gravy boat - and use as a steak topper.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:56:44 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401