Author Topic: Rolled Chicken Florentine  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Hornzbee

• Hooterville, NC
Rolled Chicken Florentine
« Reply #-1 on: September 16, 2012, 07:59:51 PM »
I thought that maybe I could have posted this in "Healthy Alternatives" . It certainly would have fit there.  Very simple, chicken breast, frozen spinach, ham & swiss cheese. The sauce (on the side) : can o mushroom soup, H2O, thyme and white cooking wine.

Chick breast, butterflied and pounded to 1/4"

Ham then cheese then spinach, drained very well btw.  Sorry, the pic of them rolled and tied was a blurry mess. Did one tie end to end to contain it all.

Mopped them with the sauce a bit. Too late into the cook though. Im new to both the Yoder and cooking lean meats without bacon wrapped around them. ;)

Wish I had spritzed em or mopped them more....oh well

Internal temp of 160.

Dang it! Forgot to turn the flash back on my phone...but you get the idea.

Another one of my not-so-great attempts of photography.

All in all a very tasty, healthy meal (I know carb is absent)  Problems: sauce was not to my liking. Not a big fan a thyme really. Next time Cream of chicken soup maybe with herbs I like more. Or maybe without sauce altogether.

The biggest issue was the tough outer chicken breast.  Im sure now I would have done better spritzing or mopping it more often.  What is a good neutral tasting concoction I can spritz with?  While my wife swore she liked it like that, I didnt. It certainly wasnt that tough or anything but .... Of course I further compounded the problem by filling my 18" Amazen smoker and lighting it on both ends, set the Yoder to 160F and let it go for 1 1/2hrs before ramping it up. It definitely had the smoke level I wanted.  Next time I plan on doing it Mexican style and getting it right!  If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd thank ya!

-John
Yoder YS640
Bradley 6 Shelf
& some cruddy old gas grill

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: Rolled Chicken Florentine
« on: September 16, 2012, 08:20:39 PM »
It sure does look and sound good!!!

Offline Hornzbee

• Hooterville, NC
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 09:14:09 PM »
Just tryin to find ideas for my Mexican rolled adventure.  Saw one where a guy threw some fresh pico salsa in with some jack pepper cheese...easy but how bout this... http://www.dvo.com/recipe_pages/mexico/Rolled_Chicken_Breasts_with_Poblano_Chiles_and_Goat_Cheese.html

Chevre, roasted poblanos and capers...that would have to be good eh?  Hmm...roasting the peppers on the Yoder.  Another thing that I havent done yet!  Hey, this is fun!
Yoder YS640
Bradley 6 Shelf

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 09:19:58 PM »
John - it looks GREAT!!!

I would use a healthy oil ( walnut, or canola, maybe even olive) to coat both sides of the chicken. The inside before you layer it up and roll - then the outside. This will help with moisture retention.

As well - with white meat - brining will help too!

But - really - it does look just awesome. Nice job!

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Hornzbee

• Hooterville, NC
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 10:10:45 PM »

I would use a healthy oil ( walnut, or canola, maybe even olive) to coat both sides of the chicken. The inside before you layer it up and roll - then the outside. This will help with moisture retention.

Great idea with the oil.  Coulda, shoulda, woulda.  Thought about brining.  I'm a big advocate.  Just didnt have the time this time around.  When I do my MexiChick-roll I'll probably do both of those suggestions!  But what about a spritz/mop?
Yoder YS640
Bradley 6 Shelf

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 10:46:25 PM »
It looks real good John!

Now you could always wrap it in bacon to keep it moist then remove and..... Discard the bacon :o

But who could bring themselves to do that ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Rolled Chicken Florentine
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 08:18:54 AM »
Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 08:57:32 AM »

Great idea with the oil.  Coulda, shoulda, woulda.  Thought about brining.  I'm a big advocate.  Just didnt have the time this time around.  When I do my MexiChick-roll I'll probably do both of those suggestions!  But what about a spritz/mop?

I will usually avoid the spritzing/mopping if I can. ONLY because I hate having to "chisel" baked-on and carbonized off  my equipment :o. ( But...some might call me lazy...and they would be right! ;D) Most mop recipes - and spritzes - contain some sugars. These sugars will make a real chore out of cleaning your pit......

Of course - you COULD move the food to an aluminum boat/pan - THEN spritz/mop or glaze. Since you usually want to do this near the end of the cook anyway - you will not affect the browning or smoke profile.
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401