Author Topic: Buying a Gas Grill that lasts  (Read 1459 times)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Buying a Gas Grill that lasts
« Reply #-1 on: September 06, 2015, 10:54:26 AM »
I've been buying old gas grills, rehabbing them & either keeping them or selling to friends for what I've got in them.
This is a recent source of entertainment , definitely not for profit.
I've gotten a master forge , a charbroil , 2 old weber Genesis ( oldest 17 y/o) , 2 weber Q's & a weber spirit (16 )
I've learned a few things .
A failing firebox is a terminal event! Not worth trying to jury rig burners & manifold!
Frames go bad ( old webers the back of the frame has a design flaw)
All flavorizer bars ( heat shields) eventually fail even SS ???
Porcelain coated grates eventually fail although last longer than the heat shield.
In affordable gas grills cast aluminum firebox is the best option.
Stainless body vs. porceloin coated body makes minimal difference.
Weber parts , both factory & aftermarket are easy to find even for 20 year old grills
Aluminum baking pans are useful for making grease pans & a lot cheaper than factory part!
  So these recommendations have nothing to do with cooking ability just longevity & ease of repair.
Under $500
Weber Q series , these are so simple to work on almost no parts , cast aluminum body, the grate is the heat shield , the frame is plastic & can be replaced for $80! My new used q320 will be around for my great grandchildren to use !
Weber spirit series & several models of Broil King /Mate  run below $500 easy to repair & parts easily available !
$500 - $1000 weber Genesis series ( the porceloin enamel will last as long as the stainless) again Broil King has several models and may offer a little more bang for the buck.
Do NOT buy the various store brands sold at HD, Lowes or Sam's!
There are dozens on Craig list 3-5 years old selling for under $100 & some simply for hall off! The Mastor Forge I got had hidden firebox damage even though only 3 years old!

New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Buying a Gas Grill that lasts
« on: September 06, 2015, 11:45:31 AM »
Sound advice LA. My buddy in Florida has a Q320 and he cooks on it every day.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 06:12:59 PM »
I'd be lying if I said I was a fan of gassers, but I do like the grill top attachment for my Blackstone.  Zero maintenance compared to other gas grills, and the convenience is pretty great.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 03:48:21 PM »
My dad has small Char-Broil two burner gasser.  It's actually a hand-me-down from when I convinced my brother-in-law to get a Weber OTG.

I think it's about $100 . . . . . New!

I mostly use it to finish off stuff that I start at home and bring over to parents for Saturday dinners.

Easy on, Easy off, No cleanup, Flavor added by Little Man at my house!

BD

The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 06:20:12 PM »
So much has to do with how much you are willing to pay. As y'all know I love IR cooking from CharBroil and been very satisfied with the 5 Burner Quantum I have even after years of use.  It is showing some wear and tear but still cooks as good as the day I paid around $400 for it.  If it goes, I'll most likely get another CB IR grill but probably a three or four burner.

The bottom line is:  Ain't it great we have all these choices?  Shoot, I bet that's why they make bunches of differently flavored ice cream and keep coming out with more.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers