Recipes > Pork Recipes

BACON RUB GLAZED HAM

(1/5) > >>

teesquare:
I had this crazy idea that the Super Pig Bacon Rub would be good on a ham ( hey - I got the idea from Tommy. ;) ) And - I have been wanting try Sundrop as a citrus tasting base ( again..Tommy did it :D...)

So - I bought an 8 lb. hickory smoked spiral cut ham that was not glazed. And then combined the following in a small pot on the stove:

(Pre heat oven to 300F )

2- cups Sundrop

2- tbs Super Pig Bacon Rub

2- tbs Dark Brown Sugar

2- tbs Lemon juice

Bring this to a low boil until volume is reduce by approx. half.  Reduce heat to low, Then add:

2- tbs corn starch

2- tbs unflavored gelatin

Stir often to make sure all dry ingredients are dissolved and distributed well. Set aside to cool down some. it should thicken up like almost like a creamy biscuit gravy:

Then apply one good coat, and put ham - cut side down - on cookie sheet and foil tent it well.
Remove ham after 60 minutes at 300F. Remove foil. Re-set oven temp to 425F.

Apply another coat of glaze, and put ham back in oven for 10 minutes. Repeat  glazing once more - and cook for the final 10 minutes.  Serve it up! Great with biscuits, and a touch of brown mustard.

The tastes of the Sundrop, brown sugar and lemon juice were good - but the Super Pig just added a depth and dimension that made a very  "savory-sweet"  glaze. Balanced nicely against the salt in the ham.

smokeasaurus:
That is one purty ham!!!! Just makes my right arm all tingly thinking of that bacon rub on ham!!!

Pam Gould:
WOW...sounds perfect but...I would add a lil bourbon to the mix. my bad. Looks wonderful, I owuld eat that.
Pam ★*˚°。°

TMB:

--- Quote from: PamGould on December 14, 2011, 10:42:31 AM ---WOW...sounds perfect but...I would add a lil bourbon to the mix. my bad. Looks wonderful, I would eat that.
Pam ★*˚°。°

--- End quote ---
Pam, do ya' add bourbon to all your food?  LOL

But you're right it would add that special flavor! 

Pam Gould:

--- Quote from: TMB on December 14, 2011, 11:05:54 AM ---
--- Quote from: PamGould on December 14, 2011, 10:42:31 AM ---WOW...sounds perfect but...I would add a lil bourbon to the mix. my bad. Looks wonderful, I would eat that.
Pam ★*˚°。°

--- End quote ---
Pam, do ya' add bourbon to all your food?  LOL

But you're right it would add that special flavor!

--- End quote ---
Tommy...not all my food..just the stuff that will taste good..you should try my Bourbon Pecan Pie.
 Pam ★*˚°。°

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version