FORUM SPONSORS > MAK Grills

Cliff inspired Leg o' lamb

(1/3) > >>

SmokinKat:
Cliff posted about a lamb roast he did here awhile back: http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=16649.0

And OH. MY. GOSH.  this was so stinking good.  Using the brown mustard as a base makes for just incredible flavor-- tangy, but not 'mustardy' at all.  I'm usually pretty nice about letting James steal all the leftovers to take to work for lunches, but I threatened to go on a week long cooking strike if he didn't leave me at least ONE slice of this. 

I (foolishly) tried mixing my spices in olive oil first, but it would work a lot better had I just done like the professional did in his original post! :)   I ended up getting it to work, but it was messier than it probably should have been.

My ingredients:
5+ Tbsp of brown deli mustard
1 Tb. of fresh black pepper
1/2 tsp of smoked paprika
1 tsp smoked salt
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, finely chopped

I wanted to see what kind of gravy I could make, so I put the roast on my top rack with a pan of turkey stock (what I had fresh on hand) underneath.

SO GLAD I did that-- here's a pic of the drippings I used to make gravy.

I smoked the roast for 2 hours, then turned the temperature up to 275° for about an hour, till the roast reached like 125° IT.   Then I set the roast in the warmer/smoker box on my MAK 2 Star, and cranked the grill up to HIGH, with the FlameZone covers off. 

I seared the outside of the roast to get a bit of a crust-- this pic make it look way blacker than it really was!

For sides, I did sliced sweet potatoes with a drizzle of olive oil and S&P, which I cooked for about 30-40 minutes till they were golden brown on the bottom.  I absolutely love sweet potatoes this way-- they're sweet and have a little crispy on the bottom... just incredible.

The roast finished up at a little over 145, but had a nice smoke ring, and was so juicy and delicious

And then... the gravy....  seriously think this was the best gravy I may have ever made... just... I have no words.  James thought it overshadowed the excellence of the meat, so he mostly just dipped his potatoes in it.

We got the roast at 50% off at Safeway (from what I affectionately call the 'used meat bin'), so the whole meal cost us about $12 total, with enough leftovers for a couple of lunches.  We were just marveling at how spoiled we are now-- we don't even need to go spend a gazillion dollars at fancy restaurants to get amazing food!   

Savannahsmoker:
Excellent cook and thanks for a new sweet potato roast method.

ACW3:
Looks very good.  Not a big fan of sweet potatoes, but I need to give those a try.

Art

HighOnSmoke:
I am not a fan of lamb but that looks absolutely delicious Kat! I do believe I would try some of that. Sweet potatoes look great too!

Pappymn:
Kat, that looks perfect to me. You have some new funky probes you are using? Interested in what those are.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version