Author Topic: Gambel Oak wood test  (Read 5531 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Gambel Oak wood test
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 11:16:24 AM »
I have to stick up for mesquite here. When used as a heat source burning clean it hardly imparts any flavor that I can notice. I usually add apple chunks to the mesquite base.

Now, mesquite chunks allowed to smolder will make you want to brush your teeth five straight times and not que for a month..........................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 10:49:31 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I had a couple of black walnut trees taken down early last year so they are well seasoned.  I ended up using the bigger portions for seats around the fire pit.

I like the idea of removing the bark and may give it a try with Apple sometime.  I would try Mesquite - however, I am not allowed to use it in this house.  We found out the hard way that she is allergic to Mesquite (to the point of needing to get shots at the Urgent Care).  It does put a hamper on trying out new BBQ when out and about because of it.

I may try this when experimenting with a new cut of beef sometime.... :)

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 03:32:52 AM »
I'm not a wood expert, but your pic of gambel oak looks a whole lot like pin oak (which is very close in smoke flavor and appearance to post oak). Could it be the same?

I have to stick up for mesquite here. When used as a heat source burning clean it hardly imparts any flavor that I can notice. I usually add apple chunks to the mesquite base.

Now, mesquite chunks allowed to smolder will make you want to brush your teeth five straight times and not que for a month..........................

I have to agree with The Smoke here. I have been using mesquite pellets excusively for the last couple of years. Since the pellet pooper doesn't put out a very strong smoke flavor, mesquite works really well.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 08:44:10 AM »
Nice experiment with the Gamble oak, and those ribs sure do look good!

I think you'd have to be careful with black walnut. As I recall, it has a reputation for slightly bitter, acrid smoke. You'd want to make sure it's well-seasoned, use it on stronger meats, and maybe mix it with a milder wood.

The Turtle is very correct about black walnut. It is strong. Tread lightly my friend.

Indeed...it is stronger than Mesquite - with a particularly sharp-bitter twang. Tho....IF you use it as an "accent" flavor, and at a low ration to the main wood ( cherry, preach, apricot, plum or other stone fruit ) it can be pretty good. Surprisingly good. But I would keep the amount at no more than 20% of the total amount of wood used.

I use Black Walnut often for beef.   While it is a strong flavor, IMHO it is NOT stronger than mesquite, and nowhere near as bitter; not by a long shot.   Mesquite is a very dirty, bitter, peppery wood, and it's very easy to over-smoke meat with it.  Black walnut, is more like a very strong hickory (think hickory X 5) with maybe a slight bitterness. 

BUT here's the caveat: If you are using chunks, I would recommend removing the bark because the bark can be very acrid.

I agree with Paul (Ka Honu) that it's best used with a meat that can stand up to it's flavor, which is why I use it mainly for beef.  In fact it's my favorite wood to use for beef, especially steaks, without mixing it with any other wood.

Also, just like Hickory, Black Walnut mixes really well with apple for pork.  Or to kick up Hickory's flavor a notch, add a bit of black walnut. 

But DON'T be afraid to try it!
I thought you weren't supposed to use Black Walnut for smoking,  Last year we cut down a bl walnut tree about 25" around..wahhhhhhh..I could have kept the wood...I thought it was only good for wild game.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron