Author Topic: wheres the pit barrel cooker  (Read 1123 times)

Offline sparky

• northern california
wheres the pit barrel cooker
« Reply #-1 on: October 29, 2012, 10:47:50 PM »
i need my fix of pit barrel cooker.  don't make me call you moms!   >:(
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: wheres the pit barrel cooker
« on: October 30, 2012, 08:28:29 AM »
I have to call Noah and get some guidelines for briskets and butts!! Kora just hung some tri's and chix last weekend. I use it for a quick grill during the week for dogs and some quick poke chops...works pretty good as a grill......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
wheres the pit barrel cooker
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 09:20:24 AM »
I have to call Noah and get some guidelines for briskets and butts!! Kora just hung some tri's and chix last weekend. I use it for a quick grill during the week for dogs and some quick poke chops...works pretty good as a grill......
Perfect opportunity for a dumb question ??? ;D Not being a charcoal user and hopefully being a new owner of one pit barrel, do you still fill the whole basket full of charcoals? If you do, what do you do with all the used and maybe unused charcoal in the basket?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 09:28:57 AM »
Great Pit Barrel question: for shorter cooks of under two hours, I will use one full Weber chimney starter which is roughly 5 lbs. For all other cooks I fill up the charcoal basket to the top. This is not your Fathers UDS and you can not choke the charcoal down, it has to burn all the way out. On a happier note, I line the bottom of the barrel with HD foil and the PBC is as easy to clean as my GMG!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Kora Smoker

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 08:33:53 PM »
Great Pit Barrel question: for shorter cooks of under two hours, I will use one full Weber chimney starter which is roughly 5 lbs. For all other cooks I fill up the charcoal basket to the top. This is not your Fathers UDS and you can not choke the charcoal down, it has to burn all the way out. On a happier note, I line the bottom of the barrel with HD foil and the PBC is as easy to clean as my GMG!!

I haven't done a cook under two hours yet, so thanks for the heads up Smoke. I've been thinking of hanging whole tilapia. I miss smoked fish.. Maybe 1/2 chimney?
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26 kettle
Rec Tec 680
Gabby's Grill Santa Maria add on for weber kettle 26 inch
Gateway Drum Smoker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 09:28:26 AM »
That should be around 2.5 lbs of coal..that should do it. Do you think the whole fish will stay on the hooks when they are close to being finished or would you play it safe and use the grate. The grate does sit in the "Sweet Spot"...........nah, go for it my brotha and hang em!!!! 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Kora Smoker

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 01:30:12 PM »
That should be around 2.5 lbs of coal..that should do it. Do you think the whole fish will stay on the hooks when they are close to being finished or would you play it safe and use the grate. The grate does sit in the "Sweet Spot"...........nah, go for it my brotha and hang em!!!! 8)

I think they the whole fish will stay on if you hook em by the gills, plus I dont think they'll take that long when you smoke them. I'll see what happens, smoked fish are some real good eats.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26 kettle
Rec Tec 680
Gabby's Grill Santa Maria add on for weber kettle 26 inch
Gateway Drum Smoker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 01:39:03 PM »
Will be watching!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven