Author Topic: Pulled Pork for Party  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Saber 4

Pulled Pork for Party
« Reply #-1 on: May 30, 2016, 11:48:02 AM »
My wife informed me last week that we were going to a party on Saturday and oh by the way you are providing the pulled pork. So Friday I headed up to Sam's and picked up a two pack of butt's weighing almost 19 pounds total. I wanted more smoke on these than I get with just the SRG so my plan was to put them in the Bradley for 5 hours of Pecan smoke (did 5 hours just to use up the last of that box) then move to the SRG to finish.   I shared my plan with Tommy (TMB) who advised me to make the switch when they got to 165 IT to finish up.

I kept it simple by just using my go to Texas Style Steak Seasoning as a rub. I got a late start and put them in the Bradley at 9 PM with the temp at 230 and a cake pan of boiling water on the bottom rack to help with heat recovery and catch drippings, every 3 hours I rotated them front to back and top to bottom. At 930 AM they were still in the stall at 148/151, since I had to have time to FTC and pull before we left at 430 PM for the drive over to Ft Worth I used my "text a friend" lifeline and got with Tommy for some options. He suggested putting them in the SRG immediately which I did. At 2 PM the top butt was at 205 and the bottom at 199, I was going to follow Tommy's instructions and move the bottom butt up to the top to finish to 205 but it was falling apart so bad that I just went ahead and FTC'd both of them till 4 PM.

I didn't manage any pictures until I opened them up to pull, here they are at unwrapping, the bones slid right out with no issues.

All Shredded up, for anyone who follow's Tommy's SRG method when he says take it to 205 believe him. The one I pulled at 199 was excellent and pulled easily but I could tell a big difference between that one and the one that made it all the way to 205

For the party I filled my warmed up crock pot with all but 4 pounds which I vac sealed for future use, I mixed about half a bottle of Stubbs original into the crock pot and prepped a condiment bottle with the rest of the Stubbs so people could go as heavy or light as they wanted on the sauce. I took Hawaiian rolls for everyone to make sliders with.

There was ham and pork ribs at the party brought by another guest along with sides, the pulled pork went over so well that I only brought about 2 pounds home and there were only 14 guests at the party so a big thanks to Tommy for the assist and save at the end.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Pulled Pork for Party
« on: May 30, 2016, 11:52:11 AM »
Looks like some real good eating.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 12:00:35 PM »
So glad it worked for you.   

205 seems to be the magic number for infrared butts ,  so anyone using an SRG for pulled pork  go to 205 you wont regret it   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 12:04:01 PM »
Looks great Robert! And I would bet it tasted even better than it looks too! I'm sure it was a happy group of diners! ;)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 12:08:53 PM »
Looks like a fine job on the pork!!! Good sauce too!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 12:11:52 PM »

205 seems to be the magic number for infrared butts ,  so anyone using an SRG for pulled pork  go to 205 you wont regret it

Thanks again for the help Tommy, I am sold on 205. I think next time I do some this way I will put the butt's in the SRG basket first like I do my turkeys and smoke them in the basket until the smoke is done then straight into the SRG. That way I get the smoke from the Bradley and the speed of the SRG without having any extra time in the danger zone switching out.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 12:25:31 PM »

Thanks again for the help Tommy, I am sold on 205. I think next time I do some this way I will put the butt's in the SRG basket first like I do my turkeys and smoke them in the basket until the smoke is done then straight into the SRG. That way I get the smoke from the Bradley and the speed of the SRG without having any extra time in the danger zone switching out.
Your welcome, the SRG butt hot line is open 24/7  :D :D :D :D ???   Well, I do have to sleep sometimes ;)

Next time just cook them in the SRG basket then move the basket into the SRG, no wasted effort and less chance of tearing the meat getting it in the basket

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:36:42 PM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 02:07:11 PM »
Great looking pulled pork!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Roget

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 03:21:20 PM »
It looks great!
Mine has been in for about 3 hours now and looking at yours is making me hungry.
Late dinner for V & me.
I can only hope mine turns out tasting as good as yours looks.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Elzic

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 01:11:14 AM »
Nicely done, sir! 

I have the same situation with a party this coming weekend...
Elzic
Norfolk, VA
Novice Producer, Experienced Consumer.
Big Easy SRG