FORUM SPONSORS > MAK Grills

Quality: The MAK Legacy.....

(1/6) > >>

teesquare:
I am fortunate to own MAK #48. I bought it - and it was a few years old then - from nepas, and o only then because he was moving into a motor home. What  a luck break I was getting - and did not know it....
It was shipped to MAK, where the belly was replaced with stainless ( originally the first few had a powder coated steel lower end )and cart were replaced with and the cart was refinished with the current black and grey splatter/marbled finish, unfit electronic to include the WiFi module.
ANd...I used the 2 star to do everything I could think of....( have you ever smoke-dried your underwear...? Don't knock it 'til you ty it! :D :D :D ) Seriously - I lost count after about 400 hours of use. But - I was not as neat as I could have been - and would overload the pit - such that the meats would drip outside of the area of the drip pan - so all of that eventually became this black, armor plating about 3/8" thick - that could be a replacement for DU ( Depleted Uranium) armor on M-1 Abrams tanks.... ;D

So...when "that day" came - as it invariably does...when one's conscience collides with reality ....I wen full OCD x Anal Retentive + busted knuckles and tore the MAK down for not only a "restorative cleaning" - but to perform a couple of upgrades: 1. the stainless front shelf. and 2. the new Flash-Fire ignition kit that replaced the hot-rod style ignitors. This should prevent the one part that pellet grill owners all know - they should keep a spare on hand....
Because the years of hard use were showing on old #48, the stainless steel had some scratches that were minor- but obvious. And the original finish has now been replaced with a  "DA 120" finish. This is one that is not as shiny - and just looks better. Less glare, and just less critical looking. I like it a lot.
Here is the hood before, half-way thru and after sanding and re-finishing with a dual action air sander and 120 grit sandpaper:

[attachments deleted after 6 months]

teesquare:
SO I had to clean the inside too... The entire interior was BLACK...and had very heavy deposits. Not grease...but baked on carbon. I disconnected the left and right wings ( electronics on the left and smoker box on the right) and focused on smoking the interior with a Citrus based cleaner from owes that is not caustic - and rinsed way cleanly.
I use a paint scraper, charcoal grey paint stripping pads and a small steel wire brush.

teesquare:
And...time to put her back together! I want to thank Bruce, Katrina Bob and Matt, and CJ for for the parts each of them played in talking me thru this - and for making the BEST part of an awesome product even better...the support!

Clearly - MAKS are designed to not have to be replaced, and they can be up-graded at will. But -  the genuine care that the people of MAK Grills show the customer.... is priceless.

Ka Honu:
Gosh, tee, if you ship that wonderful machine to me within the next month I'll be your new best friend forever (along with Art, of course), never say another derogatory thing about Aggies, and I won't publish the pictures from that "gentleman's club" in New Orleans.

If you don't, I'll come to Carolina to discuss the issue so we can negotiate a mutually agreeable outcome. Tell Kay to make sure your home and life insurance policies are paid up, put her valuables in off-site storage, and take a solo vacation somewhere far away (with witnesses).

muebe:
She looks pretty Tee!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version