FORUM SPONSORS > MAK Grills

Tri-Tip, Take Two!

(1/3) > >>

SmokinKat:
Did another tri-tip on Monday on a whim, straight out of the freezer.  This one has been sitting around in the freezer for a few months as well, in just the Styrofoam tray and wrapping straight from Safeway, so I didn't have super high hopes for it... but gosh darn it, I wanted some beef!

Ran it under some warm water to get the frost off, then rubbed it with a bit of olive oil and gave it a good seasoning with BPS Sweet Money.

I knew it'd take awhile to thaw, so I turned my 2 Star onto SMOKE and put the meat on.

Didn't get any photos of it cooking, I was off doing chores and playing with baby goats.  I think it was on for about 2 hours when I went up and was able to stick a probe inside.  Probe registered 50 degrees, so I knew it had thawed all the way through.   

Turned the grill up to 225, and let it get up to IT of 135°.  I left it on the grill and put the MAK into cool-down mode while I went inside to finish up the other sides, figuring it'd rise a good bit more before I pulled it.   James made garlic mashed baby red potatoes (he's learnin', folks!!!), and I did asparagus with balsamic glaze and butter. 

I'd been a little nervous that it would come out kind of funny because it was a bit old, and I'd put it on the grill frozen, but my whim and craving for steak turned out pretty dang good!   Really liked the rub (was a new one for me), and it turned out even more uniformly medium rare than my first Tri.  James agreed this one was even better than the first. :) 

We had a little leftover steak, so last night I made a rice noodle dish with lots of veggies and the thinly sliced tri tip leftovers.  Could see the smoke ring a lot better after we tossed it in the sauce I made (soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, and a couple dashes of fish sauce).

rwalters:
Another fabulous TT cook Kat!  Love the "leftover" dish :)  Was that done on the 1 Star or 2 Star? Just curious.

Pappymn:
Killer looking meal

sparky:
Nicely done.

Smokin Don:
Both meals look delicious!!! Tell James he did good on the potatoes!!! Don

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version