Author Topic: Smoke , Backyard Jack, LostArrow & the AKORN  (Read 1101 times)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Smoke , Backyard Jack, LostArrow & the AKORN
« Reply #-1 on: September 04, 2016, 08:43:35 AM »
 I humbly accept that Smoke is a better cook than Jaxon & I  ???
The Akorn had a learning curve for me, who knew a cooker could burn the wooden handles on the ashpan ! Ribs at 400F smoking temp were a little dry!
I'd had mine a couple years when Jack called me about to lose his religion  ::)
He got it together faster than me however!
Jack & I were waiting for a call from Smoke calling the AKORN a cheap POS I'd been practicing my "Kung Fu accent, "Ah Grasshopper " then what happens  :(
Smoke posts great cooks from the get go !!!

Oh well now all I do is console my LSU friends this weekend!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoke , Backyard Jack, LostArrow & the AKORN
« on: September 04, 2016, 10:04:38 AM »
Thanks LA for the high praise. I do highly doubt that I am a better cook though. I think I am about 50/50 ratio of bad cooks to good...........adult beverages and talkative neighbors could be a factor  :D

I think what helped me the most was scouring the net and reading reviews and all the tips and tricks out there. I seemed to me that if the temps get away from you from the beginning you might as well put a steak on because you won't be at smoking temps any time soon. i also learned that slight adjustments can make for some pretty major results.

The biggest factor was when I was waiting for the grilling stone (came damaged two times and had to wait for Lowes to get them in the store), I was doing quite a bit of dry-runs with charcoal and lump. I was able to get the Akorn to sit at 300-325 with no deflector. I figured once the deflector got put in, I was down-town.

The grilling stone is very thick and heavy and made all the difference in the world when trying to go lo and slo. In fact, I was setting just under 200 degrees and I had to make a small tweak to get to 250. After that it was all about the cooker.

I love the title of this post:  Smoke , Backyard Jack, LostArrow & the AKORN    very good company to be included in  :)

P.S.   my PK Grill is lonely. I haven't touched it since getting the Akorn. It is that good  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 02:26:27 PM »
I am glad I am no longer the Grasshopper...
Howsomever, I am still learning tweaks, tips, and tricks for the Akorn.

I will definitely be trying the "fat rain" idea.  Deb thought that was the best idea she's heard in a long time.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 04:19:46 PM »
I am glad I am no longer the Grasshopper...
Howsomever, I am still learning tweaks, tips, and tricks for the Akorn.

I will definitely be trying the "fat rain" idea.  Deb thought that was the best idea she's heard in a long time.

Every once in a while, when everything lines up just right,  When the moon is in the Seventh House,and Jupiter aligns with Mars....I get a good idea  :D

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32