Author Topic: Thanksgiving Turkey...in the Pit Barrel Cooker  (Read 4899 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Thanksgiving Turkey...in the Pit Barrel Cooker
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 09:33:33 AM »
Beautiful bird Smoke!!!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Sam3

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 09:51:38 AM »
Great looking bird Smoke. That PBC is really something else.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 10:14:52 AM »
Smoke, Sparky, T , whoever got the pit barrel co. To become a sponsor I say Thanks!

You are welcome LA!!  ;D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 10:15:46 AM »
Smoke, Sparky, T , whoever got the pit barrel co. To become a sponsor I say Thanks!

I think it was Smoke that got Sparky looking at it - from all of Smoke's great posts...and now...I have one on the way too! Might as well join the party John! ;)

we will convert muebe next guys! :D :D

T

How about Tommy...that will be a tuff one!!  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 10:48:38 AM »
Forgot to mention, I always check my cookers before I sack out for the night. Was up later than usual, it was around 10, so I decided to get some bug spray and a flash light and look for widows..(killed 4 by the way!!) and noticed the patio was still kind of smokey...I popped the top on the PBC and that sucker was still going strong...12 hours on 8 lbs of Kingsford works for me!!

I am mentioning this fact, because I have been told by some buddies that the PBC is a fuel hog because you use 8 lbs of coal for a 40 minute Tri-Tip cook or a 2 hour chicken cook.

That is correct....but.......I could have done -3- separate brisket or butt cooks yesterday if I so wished to do. You can hang -2- full packers or -2- butts at a time and if I did the -3- separate cooks with -2- packers or butts at a time, i could've done -6- briskies or butts  on 8 lbs of Kingsford without no refueling....I will take that anytime!!!! In fact, you should never have to refuel the PBC if you fill the charcoal basket up to the top!!

Also, you can hang -10- racks of spares at a time so I could've cooked 30 racks of spares over 12 hours on 8 lbs of Kingsford!!

With my off-set, it would take at least a 10 lb burn of coal just to heat up the 1/4 inch steel and get the smoking chamber to 250.....so if I use 8 lbs of coal for a 40 minute cook every once in a while, it don't matter because the PBC will rack up the savings for the rib and brisket and butt cooks!!  ;D

Excuse me, while I climb down from my soap-box 
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Thanksgiving Turkey...in the Pit Barrel Cooker
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 11:10:55 AM »
Forgot to mention, I always check my cookers before I sack out for the night. Was up later than usual, it was around 10, so I decided to get some bug spray and a flash light and look for widows..(killed 4 by the way!!) and noticed the patio was still kind of smokey...I popped the top on the PBC and that sucker was still going strong...12 hours on 8 lbs of Kingsford works for me!!

I am mentioning this fact, because I have been told by some buddies that the PBC is a fuel hog because you use 8 lbs of coal for a 40 minute Tri-Tip cook or a 2 hour chicken cook.

That is correct....but.......I could have done -3- separate brisket or butt cooks yesterday if I so wished to do. You can hang -2- full packers or -2- butts at a time and if I did the -3- separate cooks with -2- packers or butts at a time, i could've done -6- briskies or butts  on 8 lbs of Kingsford without no refueling....I will take that anytime!!!! In fact, you should never have to refuel the PBC if you fill the charcoal basket up to the top!!

Also, you can hang -10- racks of spares at a time so I could've cooked 30 racks of spares over 12 hours on 8 lbs of Kingsford!!

With my off-set, it would take at least a 10 lb burn of coal just to heat up the 1/4 inch steel and get the smoking chamber to 250.....so if I use 8 lbs of coal for a 40 minute cook every once in a while, it don't matter because the PBC will rack up the savings for the rib and brisket and butt cooks!!  ;D

Excuse me, while I climb down from my soap-box 
I will soon have my own. Got the
OK. I MISS CHARCOAL FLAVOR ANIMAL PARTS!! ;D :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker