Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Food Safety Issues

Prepping Chicken...

<< < (3/3)

sparky:

--- Quote from: Smokin Don on November 29, 2016, 12:14:39 PM ---I have always rinsed my chicken under water then pat dry and have never made anyone sick. Then I wash my hands and any utensil I used and the towel I used for my hands is put in the wash.

I brine most all chicken and take to 170-175 deg. breast IT. Don

--- End quote ---

I do this exactly.

smoker pete:
I don't rinse my poultry under water before trimming excess fat/skin and seasoning. I always take my poultry breasts to 170ºF before resting loosely under a foil tent for 15 minutes. I always take the dark meat (thighs, drumsticks) to at least 180ºF. Dark meat is very forgiving and can handle going above 180ºF without drying out/ruining the meat. Course it's understood that I always cook/smoke bone-in, skin on poultry.

When cooking a whole yardbird I find that when I take the breast to 170ºF then the quarters (dark meat) will be at 180ºF plus. Everyone to their own preferences and methods but I personally will never pull when the breast IT reaches 160ºF.

LostArrow:
This graph shows how sous vide works, it's not just temperature, time at temperature plays an important part.

If you cook poultry to 150 F & let sit at that temperature for a few minutes it's perfectly safe.

Big Dawg:

--- Quote from: sparky on November 29, 2016, 10:34:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: Smokin Don on November 29, 2016, 12:14:39 PM ---I have always rinsed my chicken under water then pat dry and have never made anyone sick. Then I wash my hands and any utensil I used and the towel I used for my hands is put in the wash.

I brine most all chicken and take to 170-175 deg. breast IT. Don

--- End quote ---

I do this exactly.

--- End quote ---

Only difference is I wear gloves now - I started doing this at competitions and just find it easier and quicker.

Also, I haven't really done any brining - just lazy I guess, maybe one day . . .

BD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version