Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Food Safety Issues

Prepping Chicken...

<< < (2/3) > >>

Pam Gould:
It's the splashing in the sink and everywhere they are referring to.  I always wash the sink with some bleach added to clean the sink. I wash everything that it comes in contact. and I cook to about 170º and tent for a lil while.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

tlg4942:
 185 is high.... Although you can bet the germs will be dead.  I shoot for 160-165 ideally

hikerman:
I agree with most that when breast is 160F I pull and tent for 10 - 15 minutes. Pam is right. There is nothing wrong with rinsing and drying your chicken. The problem is from the faucet and the spraying of water. Anywhere the water goes after hitting the bird, you will have the germs and bacteria. So in fact, you could have a cleaned and dried chicken but still get sick because of the droplets of water you missed cleaning up. The experts say no to rinsing because it is so easy to contaminate. Better to cook to IT of 160F.
If you must clean the bird. Fill your sink with water and clean. And like Pam does, a disinfectant like bleach to clean sink afterwards.

www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/do-not-rinse-your-turkey/

HighOnSmoke:
I rinse in the sink and dry. Then disinfect the sick and any area around it.

I am little confused when you said your temp gauge that came with your big easy goes up to 170. Is this on your big easy? If so, I would totally disregard that and get an instant read thermometer to measure the cooked temp of your meat. With chicken breasts I too take them to 160, pull, and let rest under foil. With the thighs, legs and wings, I will go up to 185 without them drying out. I normally shoot for 175 but sometimes they get higher. 

smokeasaurus:
I also rinse and pat dry and disinfect the sink and surrounding areas and so far so good.

I have always slightly overcooked my chicken..............better safe than sorry......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version