Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Cooking Equipment - Tips

Food Prep Accessories

(1/3) > >>

chriswalters:
What are everyone's favorite food prep accessories for working with raw meat, applying rubs, transferring from kitchen to BBQ pit, etc. Any special cutting boards, ways to catch raw meat juices, tips for easier cleanup after applying rubs, tips for not contaminating the entire kitchen when working with raw meat?  Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teesquare:
I  buy boxes of Nitrile gloves @ Harbor freight. 

And this cutting board https://www.amazon.com/Dexas-Scoop-Cutting-inches-Handle/dp/B003PDO0FU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1485400524&sr=8-3&keywords=curved+cutting+board

Pappymn:
I buy nitrile gloves at Costco. And a dedicated board for poultry

Pam Gould:
I use the gloves and half or quarter heavy aluminum sheet pans, not the thin aluminum ones, .and always stack 2 of them so I have a clean pan underneath for the cooked food, works for me, got them at Sam's..just sayin.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Hub:
1.  Lay down several large sheets of butcher paper or foil on the counter before you start slinging rub or flinking miscellaneous meat parts all over the place.  When you're finished, just toss them and no counter cleaning/wiping is necessary.

2.  Find a Lucite cutting board with one side flat and one side indented with drip channels.  These are easy on your knife blades and the one I have is the maximum size that will fit in the dishwasher so that I can sanitize it when I'm through hacking critter parts.

3.  If you're dealing with chicken chunks a big, heavy-duty set of poultry shears is a lot less work than trying to figure out where the knife goes.  Force beats finesse every time.

4.  Know what's in your rub and cook appropriately.  Salty rubs have a drying effect that amplifies bark creation (if that's what you want).  Sugary ones will make for darker exterior coloration on the meat once cooked.  Some herbs and spices actually change flavors under certain heat conditions.  What tastes good on your finger may not taste good on your rib.

5.  Move meat hunks with big tongs, not big forks.  Poking holes in the meat just provides a way for moisture to escape. 

6.  Meat of any kind should spend most of its time in either the fridge or the cooker, not on the counter.  After you carve it, either cook it or refrigerate it.  Same applies after it's cooked.  Carve it and serve it as hot as possible.  Don't leave leftover meat lying around. 

7.  Sneak up on how much rub, sauce or injection you use.  Don't forget that the meat itself has flavor and overriding that flavor with too much rub or sauce defeats the purpose of even having the meat.  If you like the rub or sauce so much, just put a big glob on some Wonder Bread and avoid the expense and bother of messing with the meat.

. . . end of sermonette (for now)  ;D

Hub

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version