FORUM SPONSORS > Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

lump vs briquettes

<< < (2/2)

Tailgating is my game:
For me it is lump for steaks & regular for almost everything else.  My wife gives me a lump when I spend too much ;D

phoccer:

--- Quote from: teesquare on March 03, 2018, 08:41:39 AM ---Do you have a digital - remote thermostat that you can leave the probe in place, and measure temperature changes while you run the pit?

--- End quote ---
Yep, I have a Maverick 732 I use on all cooks. I've had my PBC for about a year and have the vent set to 1/8 here at 900'. Originally I tried 1/4 but my PBC was running in the 325+ range so I adjusted. I just figured that's the setting I needed here. It's now occurring to me that it's because I use Kingsford Pro, which I've read runs hotter than Kingsford Original, is the reason I needed to close the vent to get my PBC to run in the 275-300 range. Still getting my mind around how the PBC operates. I'm used to a Weber Kettle where I can adjust the intake and exhaust to hit temps. Discovering getting the PBC to run the desired temp range is about having the vent set properly and the initial lighting done correctly.

Pileofwood:
I do use both. I would say that lump does give the food a bit more flavor. But yes, like tlg4942 said play around with it a bit till you get it dialed in just right!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version