OTHER HOBBIES > OTHER HOBBIES

A Fun Winter Project - Restoring a Classic Firearm

(1/8) > >>

TentHunteR:
My good friend, Joe, whom I hunt & fish with, has done gunsmithing for a number of years. He knew I'd been looking at a Marlin .22 rifle and while over at his house about six weeks ago, he pulled this out of his garage and handed it to me:

This is a barrel & receiver assembly for a Marlin Model 81-DL bolt action .22 rifle (circa 1945 - 1949).

He said it was given to him years ago and had been sitting in his garage ever since. It still worked, but needed a stock, a tube magazine, and some TLC.  He then said I was welcome to it, if I wanted it.  I gladly accepted saying, "Sure, it'll make a fun Winter Project!"

Here are a couple closeups of showing the surface rust on the worst side. The other side has nowhere near as much rust and the inside of the barrel looks to be in good shape with no pitting or rust that I could see.  Although the receiver assembly needs a good cleaning and lubricating, all parts, including the safety, still move freely and work! Click on pic to enlarge.

A little background on this firearm - How I dated it:

*While searching for the parts, I started wondering exactly when it was made, but there was no serial number or date code stamped anywhere on the barrel. This piqued my curiosity, so I had to find out what I could.

Here's what's stamped on the barrel:
The Marlin Firearms Co.  NEW HAVEN CONN. U.S.A. - EST. 1870
MODEL 81-DL  - 22 CAL. - S - L - LR  ─────○─────

After quite a bit of research, here's a tidbit of what I learned:

●  Marlin made the 81-DL from 1941 - 1964, with no production from 1942-44 (due to WWII).
●  The "DL" means it was the Deluxe Model, which was fitted for peep sights, and the DL magazine held 17 LR rounds (versus 15 for the regular 81) model.
●  This barrel has 5 groove Ballard-style rifling, dating it to pre-1950.
●  Based on the variation of the trigger, receiver assembly, and sights, it's not an original 1941 model.

So... that narrowed the manufacture year to somewhere between 1945 - 1949.    Cool, this is a classic!  :thumbup:

I also found an ad that appeared in Field & Stream, with the 1948 pricing of the 80 & 81-DL's (click on pic to enlarge).

I was able to locate a stock in relatively good shape and with all the hardware, a new elevator for the rear sights, and a complete tube magazine assembly. Note: This magazine was listed for an "81-DL", but after getting it I found it's actually from a Marlin 81. Its about 2" shorter than the DL version, meaning it'll only hold 15 rounds instead of 17. Since it was complete including the pins needed to hold it in place, I can live with this!

Now that I have all the parts and supplies, my plan is to completely strip-down and re-blue the barrel, receiver & magazine, and to strip and refinish stock. 

I also plan to upgrade this rifle with a decent scope.

I'll update with more pics and info as this restoration project progresses, so stay tuned!

Cliff

RAD:
Now, that is a cool project, summer, winter, or fall. Can't wait to see her done.

tlg4942:
   Nice project gun for sure.
I want one of those collar and tie clasp mentioned in the lower left too....

Jaxon:
That is a sweet .22, Cliff.   I know you'll have a great time refurbing it AND I'm sure it will make a beautifuk addition to your collection.

Looking for to the follow-up...

Pappymn:
Very cool project

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version