Author Topic: My New Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed  (Read 12832 times)

Offline rexster314

My New Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed
« Reply #-1 on: January 04, 2020, 11:24:10 PM »
Today I was sitting nonchalantly at my computer and my wife came in and asked me "do you want that smoker?" I had posted a picture of the new MB on Facebook a day or two ago and said it looked interesting.

Any way, we danced around it a couple of minutes, telling her it was 500 bucks and all. She told me why don't you get it? HOLY CRAP!! I checked on Walmart site and a local store had one in stock! Bought it on the spot and about an hour later I got the email saying it was ready to be picked up at the store.

Drove down, got it loaded in the Expedition and I was homeward bound.

Got it unloaded by myself (carefully) and began unboxing. I would like to meet the guy who computer designed the packing method at MB. Wow!

Got everything separated and all parts laid down on my deck. I started timing the operation when I put the first screw in the hold. Someone mentioned on a forum the assembly manual. It's mostly pictures and fairly easy to follow. With a few 10 minute breaks, I was finished in 2 hours. The worst part is starting the mounting screws for the lid handle. Mostly a blind operation and if you drop a screw in between the walls of the lid, you're pretty much out of luck getting it out. And, I did. It must be jammed somehow, cause it's not rattling. Maybe I'll get a magnet from Harbor Freight and try to get it, but it's ok if I don't.

After dinner, I got back at it to do the initial burn in and pair the cooker with my phone's MB app. Everything went good, haven't got a wi-fi connection yet, but the bluetooth connection is solid. Tomorrow I'll fiddle with the wi-fi again.

I'm probably ordering the cover for it tomorrow. I plan to do a couple racks of ribs and maybe some bbq beans tomorrow for a shakedown cook and have a 18 pound brisket waiting for me to have time to put it on.

A big, huge thanks to my wife for letting me indulge my hobby
Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 720-0856V 8 burner 88,000btu gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Cham

Offline rwalters

Re: My New Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed
« on: January 04, 2020, 11:27:23 PM »
Congrats and what a nice thing for your wife to “twist your arm” on... sounds like she really had to twist hard... lol. Let’s see some pics :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 01:09:34 PM »
Congrats! Looking forward to some pics and a cook or two!
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline RAD

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 02:33:36 PM »
It's been a few months since you posted. How have you like the smoker? I've been thinking about getting this.
Love to cook and eat

Offline rexster314

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 09:33:28 PM »
LOL
I loved the 560 so much, I bought a 1050 to keep it company on the deck
Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 720-0856V 8 burner 88,000btu gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Cham

Offline RAD

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 09:55:36 AM »
LOL
I loved the 560 so much, I bought a 1050 to keep it company on the deck
Thanks. I was thinking abut getting a pellet smoker until I saw this post. I think I am going to get the MS 560 now.
Love to cook and eat

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 01:45:31 PM »
Thanks. I was thinking abut getting a pellet smoker until I saw this post. I think I am going to get the MS 560 now.

Rad, for me, the MasterBuilt Gravity line (they have 3 sizes now) is a pellet pit killer.  I had what I consider to be one of the top three pellet pits for seven years.  There were some inherent things about it that annoyed me but I loved to convenience–
  • The smoke taste.  It could make plenty of smoke at any temperature but it was a taste different from what I wanted.
  • It required a fan blowing into the fire pot to maintain the fire.  The fan blew ashes and pellet dust into the cooking area and on my food.
  • Every bag of pellets had copious wood dust.  I grew tired of cleaning my pellets before using them.
  • The direct flame area didn't produce the kind of grilled flavor we wanted.  We continued to grill over charcoal.
You can see by my signature line that the pellet pit was replaced by the Masterbuilt Gravity unit.  I have never regretted the change.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 03:24:58 PM »

You can see by my signature line that the pellet pit was replaced by the Masterbuilt Gravity unit.  I have never regretted the change.

Looks like you've got a good variety of smokers there plus experience with a few you no longer have.  If you had to pick one as a keeper which one would it be?  I'm talking mainly for brisket, butts and ribs.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline RAD

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 05:27:32 PM »
I have done a butt, BB Ribs, a reverse sear steak, and chicken breast. Everything came out great with the exception of the breasts (My Fault). This is an amazing cooker.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 08:38:05 PM »
I can really tell a difference in the food I cook now on the MB 560...definitely mo' better.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline pmillen

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 10:45:03 PM »
If you had to pick one as a keeper which one would it be?  I'm talking mainly for brisket, butts and ribs.

As a smoker—the Karubecue C-60 without a moment's hesitation.  I'd still have my PK for grilling.

If I had to select one of the bunch and forego all of the others, I'd retain the Masterbuilt Gravity unit.  It grills, smokes and bakes.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline pmillen

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 10:47:24 PM »
I have done a butt, BB Ribs, a reverse sear steak, and chicken breast. Everything came out great with the exception of the breasts (My Fault). This is an amazing cooker.

My apology, Rad.  I didn't know that you had made the purchase.  I was preaching to the choir.
Paul