Author Topic: Orange Crush Chicken  (Read 2116 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Orange Crush Chicken
« Reply #-1 on: January 19, 2013, 04:22:39 PM »
I got this recipe from a Denver Broncos fan back in November of last year. He says you don't have to be a Broncos fan to enjoy it!! For you young whippersnappers out there, "Orange Crush" was the name of the Broncos defense back in the mid to late '70s. and still might be for all I know.......

This recipe is for a charcoal grill but it is easily adapted to any type of rig you are using.

The pan on the left has 12 oz. of Orange Crush soda in it, the pan on the right is about to be filled with Orange Crush soda.

Orange Crush Chicken Legs
One large deep aluminum cooking pan
One package of 10 to 14 chicken legs
Two large onions
Your favorite seasonings

One 12 oz. can or bottle of Orange Crush Soda (or your favorite beverage, we have use beer, Dr Pepper, Pineapple Soda, Coke, water and red wine)

One 12 oz. bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce. (We use Kraft Mesquite Smoke)

Slice onions in 1/2 inch thick slices, cover the bottom of the aluminum pan. (This is use as an insulator so the chicken does not burn or stick to the pan) Arrange the chicken legs in the pan and sprinkle with your favorite seasonings. We use Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning.

Build your charcoal fire one side of the PK and set the pan of chicken directly over the charcoal, cook for 1 and 1/2 hours.

The Orange Crush will boil and bubble and as the chicken legs cook, their skin shrinks and the chicken fat dissolves. When done, pour off remaining liquids and pour on your favorite BBQ sauce. The onions will be perfectly caramelized and make for a wonderful side. Serve immediately.

Goes well with potato salad and buttered hot French Bread.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

Re: Orange Crush Chicken
« on: March 19, 2013, 09:49:14 PM »
Alright, smoke, are we talkin' a large pile of charcoal?
Are we covering the pan with foil whilst it cooks?

I have adjustable grates in my grill...do I crank it right up under the pan or leave it low?

inquiring minds wanna know...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Orange Crush Chicken
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 08:32:34 AM »
The recipe was from a Portable Kitchen owner. If I remember correctly I ran the Yoder at 350 for the cook.  Uncovered the entire cook. Build a even layer of coals under the pan...lower charcoal grate the better...........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32