Recipes > Beef Recipes

Trying a chuck roast with Teriyaki marinade

(1/3) > >>

TMB:
Was looking at YouTube the other day and seen a guy do a Chuckie and a Brisket  with Teriyaki marinade for 24 hrs.  So I thought I'd give it a shot just for the heck of it

I placed it over a water pan for 2 hrs at 250 and a Amazing Smoke tray for extra smoke.  Then wrapped for 1.5 hrs removed and turn heat up to 300 to form a bark.

Let it rest 2 hrs then sliced,   

It was good but dry even though I used a water pan and soaked for 24 hrs  ANY THOUGHT??

GusRobin:
overcooked?

TMB:

--- Quote from: GusRobin on June 01, 2020, 02:07:37 PM ---overcooked?

--- End quote ---
Didn't seen to be just dry.  Was at 207 when I pulled to foil it

TentHunteR:
I love Teriyaki Beef!

Tommy, I see two things that can cause the dryness.

1) That particular piece of chuck roast looks pretty lean to me.  That alone would make for a dry texture. 

2) That marinade has three acidic components in it; wine, vinegar and succunic acid.  That doesn't help with a thicker, leaner cut as acid lowers the pH.

> Lower pH = a dryer meat.
> Higher pH = juicier meat.

This is a basic concept that's not talked about much in charcuterie, but it's why Phosphates are added to certain products to make them more juicy, and why other products, like meat sticks, are more acidic (lactic acid) to give them a dryer texture.

Next time you can try making your own teriyaki sauce: Mix some soy sauce with a little red wine, and some brown sugar (to taste).  Then add a little baking soda to raise the pH.

Hope this makes sense!

TMB:

--- Quote from: TentHunteR on June 01, 2020, 03:38:25 PM ---I love Teriyaki Beef!

Tommy, I see two things that can cause the dryness.

1) That particular piece of chuck roast looks pretty lean to me.  That alone would make for a dry texture. 

2) That marinade has three acidic components in it; wine, vinegar and succunic acid.  That doesn't help with a thicker, leaner cut as acid lowers the pH.

> Lower pH = a dryer meat.
> Higher pH = juicier meat.

This is a basic concept that's not talked about much in charcuterie, but it's why Phosphates are added to certain products to make them more juicy, and why other products, like meat sticks, are more acidic (lactic acid) to give them a dryer texture.

Next time you can try making your own teriyaki sauce: Mix some soy sauce with a little red wine, and some brown sugar (to taste).  Then add a little baking soda to raise the pH.

Hope this makes sense!

--- End quote ---
It does make a lot of sense.   I will try that next time...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version