Recipes > Rubs, mops, sauces, GRAVYS and marinades

Basic 2 ingredient BBQ Sauce Base EASY.....

(1/2) > >>

teesquare:
4- 12 oz. cans od Coca Cola - boiled/simmered and reduced to approx. 4 oz. Nice syrup consistency when cooled.

2 - cups of HUNTS ketchup. - I choose this specific brand because it uses real cane sugar, and is not overly sweet.

Mix. That is it. Now...from here I will often add one or more of the following- depending on what I am doing with the sauce:

1-2 tablespoons of Crystal brand Hot Sauce ( use what you like...)

1-2 shots of a good bourbon. But ..this is best done at the end of reducing the Coke.  - You will want the alcohol to evaporate, and leave the taste in the sauce... ;)

1-2 tablespoons of you favorite rub. BUT...I would avoid those heavy in salt. Fine Swine and Bovine - or Meat Church The Gospel all purpose rub both work well in this recipe. They are not predominately "salty" tasting.

Or...1-2 tablespoons of freeze dried coffee...it is an interesting flavor with beef.

This will yield about 1-5 pints or 20 oz. of sauce. Easy to do, and a good place to start if your want a tomato based BBQ sauce.

HighOnSmoke:
Sounds good Tim!

teesquare:
Thanks Mike. I have made a lot of sauces thru the years. But - the more complex they are...the more they tend to "muddy" the flavor of the BBQ. Simple=easy and better, IMHO.

Pappymn:
I like it. Heinz is way too sweet for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sparky:
Bookmarked.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version